AuthorTopic: Body Swap  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Noot Brown

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Body Swap
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
Hey folks new guy here, when I found Rat Rod Nation I knew I had to Join. 
 Two of vehicles are a 77 K20 with straight steer axle, 4 speed with granny and I have a 61 Apache panel 350 engine and the 700 trans. I know the details of the trucks have nothing to do with it but here is the question. Has anyone done a body swap like that? I would like to put that 61 Apache panel body on the 77 4WD chassis. I have yet to put a tape measure to them and look at the two trucks body mount locations but I thought I'd ask with all the experience on here someone may have done it.
  Any input is welcome, thanks
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:19:24 PM by Noot Brown »

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Body Swap
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:37:27 PM »
Welcome to the nation Swapping a body ain't nothing a cutting torch and a mig welder can't fix! The wheelbase is the biggest thing that I can see that may be a problem.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:22:55 PM »
messure distance front to rear wheels, and width front and back wheels, (remember wheels can have different offsets) that will give you an idea of what needs to be changed.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:43:47 AM »
Welcome to the nation, it's great to meet ya.........and what obama said, just the wheel base, you'll know right away. You can move the body mounts if they don't line up..
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline bodymangt

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • bodymangt
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:17:27 AM »
easiest way I know how to check all your dimensions is as follows , measure center of wheel to center of wheel , then measure the distance between your backing plates for your brakes , that will give you a rough idea. if you want to get a lil more in depth do this. get a plumb bob an some string , an  a piece of chalk . start at your rad support mounts hang the plumb bob roughly from the center of the bolts on either side an mark the spot on the ground with an x  do this for every mount , hanger ,bracket or anything else you want then simply measure the x's on the ground . do this with both frames an you will know with out a doubt exactly what your getting involved in .  that's how we used to measure frames the "old school way " before we had lazer measuring systems for frame straightening machines . {note} this will work as long as you look for uniform holes an bolt locals in what ever frame your measuring . if ya got any questions ask away I'd be happy to help ya out .

Offline Xlarashun

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 07:37:51 AM »
I am with Bodymangt, just remember that as long as the wheel base is pretty close, the body mounts can be put Anywhere that You might need them!  :)
This will be YOUR creation, and You get to make it fit what You want it to Be!  :)
Sanity is Not a Requirement, It just Slows Ya Down!!

Offline Noot Brown

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
Thanks everyone all good information I know a lot of car guys but very few has taken on a body swap project. And thanks for the kind welcome to the nation as well 

Offline TIC

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 05:10:16 PM »
i got a 59 chevy pickup body on a 83 jeep j10 truck frame. the wheelbase and width is a perfect match. as far as body mounts go not a chance. youl have to set some 4+4's across the frame and set the body on and start blocking till you get your hight rite, then you'l most likely have to cut the body mounts off the 61 frame and bolt or weld on 77 frame. in my case the body ended up being so high, i cut a 12 in section of frame that had the body mount bracket and set it on top of the jeep frame and weld it.

Tags: