AuthorTopic: Overheating HELP!!!  (Read 12061 times)

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
  • Referrals: 0
    • Greybeards customs
Re: Overheating HELP!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 06:53:15 AM »
I wired a relay into the circuit , use a 30 amp relay and you should be fine , also use a larger wire 12g . I would go outside the harness except for the trigger wire for the relay . run the 12g wire from the starter to the relay and then 12g to the fan . the regular wire from your harness that would go to the fan can be the trigger wire into the relay and the last of the 4 wires into the relay would be a chassis ground . don't forget to ground the fan motor wire . by using a relay you are able to get more current flow than you can through a switch . Remember all factory cars run a cooling fan relay and large wires for a reason , they draw lots of current
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

miraclepieco

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
Success?

I figured I may as well use the existing wiring to see if the new fan will even work before I went to all the trouble of installing a whole new circuit.  I had to increase from the original 20-amp fuse to a 30-amp (as Greybeard recommended) before the fuses stopped blowing. The fan is rated 19 amps but evidently the initial spike when it turns on is much higher. I felt the relay and all the wires and none were getting warm so I'll probably just retain this setup.

Idling in my garage the new fan kept the temp at 180. This still concerns me some as I'm running a 160-degree thermostat and the fan ran continuously without being able to cool the motor below 180, indicating the system is still marginal.

The weather here is cool right now so more challenging test drive conditions will have to wait for warmer temps. There are four car events this coming weekend so I'll hit the road then.

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
I have a good feeling here , just remember new cars run at 220* all day everyday and so did my sedan ! Maybe all your troubles are behind you . I know the spal fans are a much higher grade than the import ebay units . I was at a goodguys show at an exhibit and the spal fan blowing in open air impressed me enough to spend $145.00 for one .
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

miraclepieco

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 02:53:14 PM »
I know the spal fans are a much higher grade than the import ebay units. I was at a goodguys show at an exhibit and the spal fan blowing in open air impressed me enough to spend $145.00 for one .

Yes, ha ha, like I said, I could probably shut the engine off and the Spal fan would pull me down the road like a propeller!

I learned that when buying fans to ignore CFM ratings - they are totally arbitrary. Buy your fan based on AMPS - the higher the amps, the more air they will pull.

Going to drive it today into town for the Friday PM hot rod gathering at Dairy Queen. I'll report back; either it will work, or there'll be a '28 Ford sedan for sale cheap...

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »
You would be okay with a 30 amp......I would stay away from that 50 amp lmao.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline dcacjc

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
Well what is the verdict, did the fan do the trick?
David

Offline coony278

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 05:17:03 AM »
Run a 16lb cap and 50/50 antifreeze water and your good too about 240 before it will boil. I would also out a 195 deg. thermostat in. If your overriding your thermostat your radiator becomes the thermostat. A thermostat that stands open all the time is doing you no good. Water will flow threw your system faster than you can cool it,

Also running at 200 or 210 or even 220 is not hot. Your motor will make more power and last longer at the higher temps. As long as it is not boiling the  coolant your fine :)

Tags: