AuthorTopic: Welding Problem That's Just Pissing Me Off...  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Welding Problem That's Just Pissing Me Off...
« on: February 23, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »
I'm no welder, at least not by trade but I can stick two pieces of metal together. My problem is that when I do so, the pieces never seem to stay in the same place. I had a piece made for my floor that I needed to replicate, so I clamped it to the made piece and welded it up and when I unclamped it, it was 3/16" different. I've tried everything that I can think of and still nothing stays in place. Any ideas/advice?

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Welding Problem That's Just Pissing Me Off...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:05:12 PM »
Don't wanna insult you but... didja tack it first? sounds like your some how shrinking the metal if so maybe double tack things Hope this helps If not give a little more details Don't wanna sound like my normal smart a$$ self just trying to help
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
Yeah I did, I even laid complete welds on one or more sides before removing and fully welding the parts only to reinstall them and find the issue - I'm a pretty detail oriented kind of guy, so this is annoying as hell...

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »
I would layout the entire floor, and tack weld everything as you go. NO welding until everything is laid out, tacked in......
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »
Thanks guys, I think that I need to do combination of what hotwheels suggested and what I've been doing as I need to be able to remove the sections at this point. I appreciate the input!

miraclepieco

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
With welding I am continually finding new ways to screw up! 

Offline Large_time

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • "Life is short, Live it LARGE"
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 06:02:57 PM »
The weldment should go through some changes as you weld on it, the heat introduced pulls and bends the piece as it goes through its heating and cooling cycle.

The best bet is to lay it in place and clamp the hell out of it. you really get some fine tuned gap management or the distance between the 2 pieces to be welded.

I try to avoid a tack weld when at all possible. it just ends up pissing me off when it starts to twist up my weldment.

It is very hard to avoid heat distortion, but once you figure out what each weld does you can really use it to your advantage.... like welding a hot bead on a out of square box and seeing the heat from the new weld pull it square.... that is some mastery that I only dream about.

another thought is that your pieces may be flexing, after the welds... normally when you clamp something in place and weld it, it stays.

I would also ensure that after welding your pieces together, let it cool completely before unclamping. even a little heat will distort the piece.

Good luck, welding can be rewarding and frustrating.... I know how much it sucks to grind out a beautiful weld on a short piece...it happens to all of us!
"Life is Short, Live it LARGE"
www.facebook.com/LargeTimeFab

Offline djordan

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • This is Black Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 06:36:18 AM »
sometimes it depends on how big a tack you are welding ,there is a huge difference between a 1/2"  tack versus a button tack.I always use button tacks when fitting .

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input/advice. I'm not an experienced welder, so perhaps I'll learn how to use it to my advantage at some point; any input in that area would certainly be welcome...

Offline djordan

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • This is Black Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
Ive been  welding in the industrial business(paper mills,powerplants,etc.) for 25 years ,I'll do my best to answer any of your questions

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
I appreciate that, thanks! My immediate problem is that when I try to replicate a structure by clamping it to one that has been built, after welding and unclamping, the new piece isn't the same as the old piece; depending on length, so far it's been up to a 3/16" difference. The other issue that I have is distorted metal on body panels after welding. I'm sure that these are novice issues, but I'd sure like to know how to deal with them...

Tags: