AuthorTopic: 90 ranger longbed budget build  (Read 59823 times)

Offline ratrodranger

Re: 90 ranger longbed budget build
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
did some more work on the metal around the tail light on the drivers side...the hole pretty much matches the shape of the tail light...... tomorrow I am gonna pull the LF fender off so I can get to the back side and make it look better.... looked at a ranger build on you tube.....his truck makes mine look rust free....he replaced the whole bottom of the cab, bedsides, core support, fenders and a corner of the roof... glad mines not that bad.... if it was I would find a better cab and bed..lol

miraclepieco

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »
At least you have some great weather this week for working on it    :D

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »
got the fender pulled off tonite.....pics in the morning.... little bit of surface rust to deal with while I have the fender off

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »
remover some surface rust and painted.... silver was the only paint I had handy and it not anywhere  you can see it... also took care of a rust spot on the fender and got it hammered out better....

miraclepieco

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
You do good work.  Ever work in a body shop?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:50:24 PM by miraclepieco »

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
nope..... I did consider that as a career choice.... my dad used to do paint and body work on the side for extra money... my parents were also friends with a guy that bought cars at auctions and fixed the up and resold them plus painting cars.... thats where I learned it from and from all the clunkers I have had over the years

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »
small update... did a few small things.....found some moon eyes stickers and also took one of the skulls from the crappy shift knobs and put it on top of the dash

miraclepieco

« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »
Looks cool.

Can you make it down to the Cow Creek Jalopy Jam at Azalea, OR September 13th?

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »
now that the k5 blazer is being sold I will be working on this again.....did a few things today, got too dark to take pics... also doing a junkyard trip on friday or saturday to get a few things to get the interior redone to pretty much stock on the k5 to make it sell easier .....also gonna look for some cool stuff for this build..... stay tuned

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2014, 09:12:28 AM »
Looking forward to your additions........
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

miraclepieco

« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
Me too. I always thought that was a cool rig.

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
here is what I did yesterday....... the radio crapped out, so I just took it out...... used part of a license plate I salvaged from the k5 and made a little plate to cover the hole for the antenna....the end of the antenna cable came apart when I was taking the radio out..... kinda getting rained out today

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
That turned out kewl.......

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
right now I am still in research and planning what other rat mods would look cool....... but first I have some repairs....fuel sending unit and pump so the gas gauge works ( bad float), a clutch because the slave is leaking, replace cracked and leaking windshield.....lastly it needs shocks, which might explain the poor handling.... didnt see anything cool at the junk yard this trip..... might search for some old school looking wheels that will fit the ranger...... steering wheel for sure... maybe a grant wheel if I cant find a different style will that will work on a ranger steering column and maybe some bucket seats

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2014, 11:49:25 AM »
Bucket seats would be kewl.........

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
a little bit of progress during the last few days... painted the rear bumper black... I used flat black and used clear over it.....discovered the plastic piece comes out next to the dash vent and cut a piece of sheet aluminum so it fit in that space very tight..... also changed out the toggle switches for an old school look and painted the aluminum panel black....been online looking at a lot of rat rods.......

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
been doing a lot of looking at photos and videos of rat rods and these are some of the ones that I really liked.....almost makes me want to find an old  30s or 40s cab and bed and put them on my frame in place of the rusty ranger cab.... only problem is people want high dollar for them around here
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:33:37 PM by ratrodranger »

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »
here is a video of the first one.... I asked santa for one of these , but I think his budget is tight this year

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
after talking with the wife today, got the green light to paint the ranger.....gonna go with a flat or matte black (rattlecan of course) purple  steelies( find some old school looking wheels)... not totally sure about the interior right now, but it will be mostly gutted and all metal painted black.... roll on bedliner on the inside of the bed........ will be kinda like the paint job on the k5 blazer........... white skulls on the doors and hood
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:11:40 PM by ratrodranger »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2014, 04:50:01 AM »
The touches you did look good..........sadly on the prices of bodies, it's that way everywhere now. Between restorers and rat rod builders, the prices on everything has skyrocketed.......the days of a 200 dollar find are long gone in my opinion.
As far as painting your truck, i think that you plan is awesome and can't wait to see what you do with the paint........

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2014, 05:35:11 AM »
yeah a rusty rolling shell runs about $2-3k on craigslist  around here.... was looking last night

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »
pile of stuff I removed from the interior today....... no radio or speakers are going back in, so I came up with this cool solution
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:33:36 PM by ratrodranger »

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »
in my collection of plates I have this crusty poorly repainted 1938 oregon plate...... gonna strip it and paint it black with the letters purple to match the paint scheme thats gonna be on the truck

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2014, 04:38:52 AM »
That was a great idea..........

Offline ratrodranger

« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2014, 11:04:28 AM »
another thing I am gonna do is take out the rubber plugs in the floor and make some covers to go over the holes.....the junkyard is gonna be my place to shop for parts.....