AuthorTopic: F-150 Ford I6 no spark, computer? (sort of rat rod)  (Read 3368 times)

Offline GCMopar

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
F-150 Ford I6 no spark, computer? (sort of rat rod)
« on: May 01, 2016, 06:54:06 AM »
Trying to diagnose a no spark condition, it's a '93 F-150 4.9 I6, 240,000 miles. I did all of the electrical diagnosis tests; ICM (on fender well), coil, plug wires, distributor (rotating) pip sensor, fuel pumps go on, relays under hood are good. It seems that the last thing it would be is the computer. Unfortunately there isn't any known test that I know of. I know they are pretty uncommon to go, but the truck does have a lot of miles.  I just want to be sure before pulling the trigger ($$$) on buying one. Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: F-150 Ford I6 no spark, computer? (sort of rat rod)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:57:36 PM »
Pull your distributor cap and check to see if your rotor is turning. The ford I6 has a plastic gear on the end of the shaft which tends to break.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline GCMopar

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »
Yes, that was one of the first things I checked. I pulled the computer tonight to get a visual inside and spotted one of the capacitors (I think that's what it is) looked a little dirty underneath on the board where it mounts. I moved it slightly and it and it was corroded and broke free, so I'm 99% sure that's what it was. It also was stamped remanufactured. I'm going to price one and get it, need it either way now. Thanks for the reply.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:33:50 AM »
I hope the computer does it. With corrosion, it should work with a new one.

Offline GCMopar

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »
Decided to replace the capacitor (solder in). Searched on youtube and found some people had the same problem with the exact capacitor. Went to radio shack last night and of coarse they don't even stock it. I found it on Amazon. Seems crazy to charge $5.00 to ship a 97 cent part the size of an eraser head. Oh well I shouldn't complain a rebuilt computer is $190. It should do the trick. The old one was soo corroded it broke free when I moved it alittle.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:13:58 AM »
That will be worth every penny in shipping if it works. Hopefully that is the only one that is bad...fingers crossed.

Tags: