AuthorTopic: Is this worth buying?  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Rat__ROD

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Is this worth buying?
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:00:29 PM »
Hi everyone,
                  I just joined the forum and I have been looking for a new project. I found a 1960 Pontiac Bonneville sedan for $1500 and the description says it "runs, drives and stops" which is what I am looking for but, i have a few questions. Is it worth buying? and if I were to buy this how much would it cost to chop the top 2-3 inches?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:01:44 PM by Rat__ROD »

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Is this worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:40:06 PM »
Welcome to the nation. Chopping that top looks like a small fortune in glass.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

miraclepieco

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 02:25:01 AM »
That's a really cool car!  It would be a blast to drive slammed to the ground. Being a 4-door, it will never be super valuable, so I'd customize it on the cheap - cut the coils, lowering blocks, Mexican blanket interior, rattle can lace paint job, '50's tri-bar spinner hubcaps, etc!  Like lowboy said, chopping the top would be a 50-gallon drum of worms with all that curved glass. Is it worth the asking price? I wouldn't know without seeing it, but I'd sure try offering the seller less.

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 06:12:45 AM »
it looks like a very sweet ride could be a lot of fun . as for the price you are the only one that can answer that . you could always try to get them down a couple bucks . good luck   

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:45:13 AM »
That could be a killer ride!!  If it runs good and doesn't smoke or knock it could be a FIND!!  Go drive it and then you should always try to negotiate a better deal if it's what you want.  The worst they can do is say "No".  I'd do the Mexican blanket or canvas seat cover thing, paint it the color of your choice,(flat white with a laced top and maybe some scallops for me) and make sure it's safe and reliable to drive. Drop it down to suit your fancy and drive the #^&*#$@!! out of it!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »
Welcome to the nation, it's great to meet ya. That car is a nice find for the money, but, it would be cost prohibitive to chop the top on that car. Waaaay to much glass, especially that back window. If I bought it, I would spend the money bagging it so it sits super low. And drive the heck out of it. Maybe paint it black and tint all that glass.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Tags: