AuthorTopic: One way to reverse steering box direction  (Read 7884 times)

miraclepieco

One way to reverse steering box direction
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »
I came across this car on Ebay and immediately noted the weird pitman arm configuration. LOL, I guess that's one way to reverse your steering box direction!

Offline billy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Re: One way to reverse steering box direction
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »
wow
that aint just thinking out of the box.
thats not even the same universe the box is in.
i guess if it is strong enough it would work fine
i dont practice what i preach
because i am not the kind of man i am preaching to.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 04:57:51 PM »
Now that's certainly different...

Speaking of reversing steering boxes, I bought a Corvair box and when I reversed it, the worm gear shaft doesn't appear to line up centered. I am missing one bearing, but even if I force the shaft it won't line up. Any thoughts on this?

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:34:37 PM »
wow, that is pretty ingenious
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

miraclepieco

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:14:52 AM »
Now that's certainly different...

Speaking of reversing steering boxes, I bought a Corvair box and when I reversed it, the worm gear shaft doesn't appear to line up centered. I am missing one bearing, but even if I force the shaft it won't line up. Any thoughts on this?

Do you have a picture?  Maybe one of the bearings isn't seated in its recess?  Possibly the bearing is upside-down?

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
Here you go. I actually found the other bearing inside the box on the outside of the pitman shaft. This pic is without the upper bearing installed and you can see that the worm gear shaft is nowhere near centered in the hole. When I try to install the upper bearing, everything binds up. I just don't understand this as this is a really simple set-up and I don't see how even I can screw this up...

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 04:16:37 PM »
Sorry for the huge pic; I don't know how to reduce the size...

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »
Did the shaft get bent some how? try making a jig to spin it out  of 2x4s and a couple of drywall screws so you can spin it. just a guess. didja take it apart? will it go back together properly?
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »
No, it's not bent and it spins freely while moving the pitman shaft so long as I have the top bearing out. As soon as I put tension on the top bearing, it starts to bind up and I understand why as it's off center, but I don't understand WHY it's off center...

miraclepieco

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:27 AM »
Possibly the lash is grossly out of adjustment. Try this:

Back off the little adjusting nut then back out that little set screw all the way. It won't come all the way out. Now the big lock ring back it off. The big nut with the lock ling snug it down pretty tight, this adjust the worm gear shaft and its bearings. If you can turn it with your fingers it's too loose. Now lock that big lock ring down. On to the little screw. Center the steering shaft, that is turn it all the way one way and count the turns and turn it back. Should be about 5 1/4 turns. Now center that 2 3/4 turns from lock. Now tighten that little screw down tight, then lock the nut. Here again if you can turn this by hand it is too loose. There should be definite tight spot in the middle to keep the car going straight down the road.. You might have to turn the shaft off to one side and tight down on that little screw to get a tight spot if the gears are worn some.

See those ads where it turns nice and free = worn out. Seen the ads that say must be adjusted on the car = means he don't know how to adjust it.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
Possibly the lash is grossly out of adjustment. Try this:

Back off the little adjusting nut then back out that little set screw all the way. It won't come all the way out. Now the big lock ring back it off. The big nut with the lock ling snug it down pretty tight, this adjust the worm gear shaft and its bearings. If you can turn it with your fingers it's too loose. Now lock that big lock ring down. On to the little screw. Center the steering shaft, that is turn it all the way one way and count the turns and turn it back. Should be about 5 1/4 turns. Now center that 2 3/4 turns from lock. Now tighten that little screw down tight, then lock the nut. Here again if you can turn this by hand it is too loose. There should be definite tight spot in the middle to keep the car going straight down the road.. You might have to turn the shaft off to one side and tight down on that little screw to get a tight spot if the gears are worn some.

See those ads where it turns nice and free = worn out. Seen the ads that say must be adjusted on the car = means he don't know how to adjust it.

Thanks so much, it appears that this will do the trick! I thought that that adjustment was just for end play - I guess I was wrong. Even at my age there is much to learn from you guys and it is very much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Scott

Tags: