AuthorTopic: Dodge Durango motor?  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Vance351

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Dodge Durango motor?
« on: July 04, 2017, 02:38:05 PM »
Hey guys. First off have never done any car rebuilds or projects but have done a few motorcycles over the years. Was looking for some advice. I have a 2000 dodge Durango 5.2l v8 sitting in my yard right now. The cars going to be junked because of extreme body and frame rot. Rat rods have always caught my attention and would love to down the line dive into making one. Was wondering if the motor would be good for a project later on? Also what else should be salvaged from the Durango because it goes? Thanks for any advice you guys have I know the question is very broad just looking for somewhere to start!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Dodge Durango motor?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 03:22:54 PM »
MAYBE just me, but I'd say "AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE"......What u got room for and the law will allow.........but just junky ole me............aint this how collections begin
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
Defiantly the computer and the wiring harness and then anything you think you might need and have room for. I always hate buying something I just pitched out
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Vance351

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Dodge Durango motor?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 05:14:35 PM »
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice so far. I'll definitely be trying to save as much as possible. But you guys think that motor will be good for a future build?

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 04:14:37 AM »
Originally I had the Ford 4 Cylinder and computer from the Ranger in my Bug so yes the motor is fine for a rat.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »
WE aint really into motor shaming.....pretty much what propelles/ floats ur boat

Offline Vance351

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »
WE aint really into motor shaming.....pretty much what propelles/ floats ur boat
Love it. This was my very first car so I'd hate to see it simply scraped  as I said earlier the motor is in great shape. I just prefer the look of carb engines when there exposed like I envision this one being. Was looking more at the car today. The frame can also be saved, sanded and treated to keep the rust look I think. Would need to research into more of that and what's better to use. Again this would be my first build shop im still reading up online and trying to find where to start. I'm thinking with this frame because of the length I'd be looking at doing more of a truck rather than a coupe. Again again again thinking out loud here with a million different visions in my head!!

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
I'VE never done it either, but from reading on www seems people use all kinda of stuff is used as the base. Like carving, remove all the "UN-RATTY" parts or RAT-tify them....sounds like you really cant make things worse......so have fun......good luck

Tags: