AuthorTopic: Project "Double Trouble" has begun  (Read 17902 times)

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Project "Double Trouble" has begun
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »
finally got the back feeling good enough to get back into the garage. made some progress and got the rear axle mocked up, everything is tacked in place till I'm sure I like what I've got. so far, I think its good to go. I would have liked something more unique but in the interest of time and money, the under slung leaf springs will be fine.

and got her sitting on her own suspension, still need to add shocks and figure out how I want to finish off the tail but so far so good.

"never under estimate a motivated red neck with a welding machine"

miraclepieco

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 01:58:34 AM »
Nice design and fab work.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 05:05:49 AM »
Lookin good
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 08:32:26 AM »
Looks good.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 04:46:34 PM »
I know it's been a while since I posted anything but rest assured, progress has been made, I did spend about a week waiting for the shocks and fenders to come in and today was the first time I've had to work on it. made lots of progress today, got the shocks mounted as well as the gas tank, finished off the rear end and even got the head lights mounted, along with the power &P steering. I still need to get the steering U-joints and figure out what I'm going to use for the column. I'd love to use the original but I need to figure out how to adapt it to the R&P.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »
Whatever you do. make sure that your tie rods are level when you get your ride height set!!  If they are too low or too high in relation to the rack, the car/truck will steer like an old Mad Mouse roller coaster ride!!

LOOKS WAAAAAYY COOL!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »
thanks for the advice, I know it's hard to tell from that angle, but the Rack is mounted to the front axle so bump steer won't be much of an issue, unless there's an issue that I'm not aware of ????

also, I'm still not sure I like the fuel tank, maybe after everything is painted and finished it will look better, I'll just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:17:59 PM by helo-tech »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »
What sort of telescoping device are ya' planning on using to hook to the steering column?  I've seen it done, but you've got my curiosity goin'!

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 03:27:35 AM »
Honestly, I haven't got that far yet. I'm kind of build by the seat of the pants, I've tried to pre-plan what I could but some things you just have to wait and see what presents itself.

so, what's your thoughts on the gas tank, I would like something more unique so this isn't permanently mounted yet. I have a 20 gal square alum. tank but that isn't much better. I wouldn't mind finding a couple kegs but they are hard to find that aren't beat up or cost of fortune.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 07:57:36 AM »
I've seen a big compressed gas bottle used and it looked cool. How about a couple of the old "jerry cans" like you see in old army movies and on the back of Jeeps everywhere.  They're available new, made to hold fuel, and you could connect two or three together and mount them in the bed area for a neat effect.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2016, 08:04:18 AM »
That looks amazing....and I agree, I think a couple jerry cans would be a nice touch.

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2016, 04:00:45 AM »
Hey gang,

just wanted to drop in and say that the project is not dead, I ran into an unexpected expense when the tranny on my DD truck went out, that took a BIG bite out of my rat budget. anyway, I'm back at it and have ordered the disk brake conversion for the front so I can get the fenders mounted and the steering completed.

I have been mulling it over and I'm doing away with the gas tank as it is, I really don't like the look of it. My plan is to convert an old 26 gallon compressor tank to use as the fuel tank and make it look like a military bomb, I saw online somewhere that with just a little work and some sheet metal you can simulate a pretty convincing bomb. I'll be looking for a second matching tank to use as an air reservoir for my 3 truck style air horn, I figure 26 gallons at 150 psi should give me a few blasts from them before having to refill the tank at home. I think it will look cool with two matching "simulated bombs" laying next to each other.

Hell, I may just have to do the whole thing in a Military theme now. but that's cool too.

anyway, stay tuned as the work will be getting started again soon.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 04:49:39 AM »
Sounds like a good plan. Should look good.

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
well, as promised here are some pictures of the minimal progress I made recently, it's been SOOOO HOT and humid here that I barely got out in the garage.

I got the disk brake conversion done, which was so easy it only took about an hour to do both sides.

I also got the front fender brackets fabricated and the fenders mounted, they are now hanging on their own with no blocks for support, they do have a fair amount of "spring" in them but I'll see if I can reduce some of that with some other bracing.

I did get the rear brackets fab'd and mostly mounted but didn't get any pictures of them.

next up, I'll get the steering completed, I have most of the part but am still waiting for a couple to finish things up in that department.

more to come.........................

miraclepieco

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2016, 01:58:25 AM »
Wow, that's awesome.

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2016, 04:57:37 PM »
got quite a bit more done today, it was plenty hot and humid but that didn't stop me much.

managed to get the rear fenders completely mounted and got the "bomb tank" fabricated, still have some small details to take care of but I think it's looking great so far.

now on to getting the steering finished up, still waiting for a couple heim joints that I'm using as steering shaft supports. but I can get most of the stuff done without them for now.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2016, 04:23:24 PM »
Wow, very impressive

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2016, 05:12:24 PM »
Well, got a bit more done today.

I managed to get the tank mounted, I do think I'm going to add some diagonal bracing to the "A" frame tank mount to help with the fore/aft movement of all that weight during stops and starts.

here's a couple pictures of the tank in place.

my next step is to add a couple battery boxes (1 for each motor) to the rear of the frame and then figure out where and how to mount the radiators for the motors, at this point I think I'm going to see about mounting them horizontal inside the frame rails just under the fuel tank, kind of between the cab and rear axle. of course, I'll be running electric fans on them. this idea could change as I spend more time looking at things but I think that location will work out for me.

while I'm doing all that, I'm also going to be working on getting the motors back together and to the point I can paint them.

stay tuned ..............

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
Ok, I'm late to ask this but what keeps the axle from floating from side to side, springs won't do it.  Also to keep pinion angle from moving too much and axle from moving backwards on either side.  I know crummy questions, but I did see a mounting system like control arms, or watts link.

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2016, 04:13:07 AM »
thanks for the question,

and let me just say this up front, I'm not an engineer by any stretch ----

that said, I don't see any functional difference between this setup and what pick-ups have been running for years and years, the only difference is that my springs are mounted over the frame vs. under it like most trucks----heck, my 05 silverado 2500HD has the same basic set up in it. the front of the leafs are mounted in solid mounts and cannot move side to side or front to back at all, the rear spring mounts are solid to the frame and only have small "shackles" to allow the spring to arch and de-arch as needed. there is still no side-to-side movement in the rear of the springs, only front to back.

the pinion angle will change slightly when changing speeds just do to spring "wind up", but when cruising it should be close to where its set at now. this too is no different than 99% of the full size trucks ever built.

NOW--- if I was running control arms, then yes, I would need some sort of side-to-side control.

not try to argue the point with you, and I appreciate the insights. it's always better to have a few sets of eyes looking at things because it's hard to cover everything.

thanks,

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
Tank looks amazing.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »
thanks for the question,

and let me just say this up front, I'm not an engineer by any stretch ----

that said, I don't see any functional difference between this setup and what pick-ups have been running for years and years, the only difference is that my springs are mounted over the frame vs. under it like most trucks----heck, my 05 silverado 2500HD has the same basic set up in it. the front of the leafs are mounted in solid mounts and cannot move side to side or front to back at all, the rear spring mounts are solid to the frame and only have small "shackles" to allow the spring to arch and de-arch as needed. there is still no side-to-side movement in the rear of the springs, only front to back.

Still, most modern semi-eliptical spring setups use either a sway bar mounted by brackets attached to the frame or by a panhard bar.  It DOES help andling.

the pinion angle will change slightly when changing speeds just do to spring "wind up", but when cruising it should be close to where its set at now. this too is no different than 99% of the full size trucks ever built.

NOW--- if I was running control arms, then yes, I would need some sort of side-to-side control.

not try to argue the point with you, and I appreciate the insights. it's always better to have a few sets of eyes looking at things because it's hard to cover everything.

thanks,

Still, most modern semi-eliptical spring set-ups use a sway bar mounted by brackets or links to the frame, or a panhard bar.  Sure helps handling and doesn't take away from the looks either.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:47:49 PM by Blackwater »

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 03:25:51 AM »
thanks for the insight, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

aside from that possible issue, everything is going along great, I haven't posted much because I've been busy building the engines, the first engine is done and just waiting for a couple angle adapters to adapt the old school intake to the newer heads.

the second engine is about half done but ran out of time this weekend to finish it up, also got one set of "Zoomies" fabed up, now just need to get the other set done.

the wife gave me a great idea for an overall theme for the truck, she said it kind of looks like a "Mutant tractor" ---the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward a "John Deere" theme, JD green on everything except the wheels, tank, air cleaners and valve covers, all that will me JD yellow.

may even change it's name to " the Mutant" or "cornfield nightmare" or something like that.

what say you guys????

Offline helo-tech

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2017, 05:42:43 AM »
Hey guys, I know its been quite a while since I posted but I've made some progress forward but then a bunch in reverse ---- I changed my mind mid-stream and decided to use a different body for the twin ---I found a cool old Postal jeep for cheap, so I bought it and am using the body for the project ---I never really loved the truck body but got it because it's what I could find with a title.

I'm really enthused about the jeep, I've already got it fitted to the frame and have made the alterations needed, the best part is that it's a "right hand drive" jeep, just one more cool feature.

I'll post up some pics soon

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »
That’s gonna be schweet, love the right hand drive builds.

Tags: