AuthorTopic: Motor oil & fuel additives  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Dustin Arnett

• Desert Rat
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Motor oil & fuel additives
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »
Hey guys, I've got a couple questions.. What motor oil should I use in my flat head straight six? Also does anyone use led fuel additives? Does it matter what kind of octane I put in it? For my coronet with the "baby Hemi" I used diesel motor oil, I forget the name of it. I was told it help burn off the carbon deposits on the heads or something or other..... Hahaha I forget, but it sounded good at the time.... Thanks

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
Re: Motor oil & fuel additives
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
as far as fuel goes I'm sure regular is fine because they were not high compression engines . Shell makes a very good  oil for gas and diesel engines that a lot of people use in everything .As for a lead substitute I have never used anything in my engines and never had valve wear issues and they are all pre-unleaded engines . I'm sure it couldn't hurt though . I do use 104+ ultra octane booster because of the blower , it will ping with 93 octane without it .
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline Kenney

• Rest In Peace Kenney
  • Rat Rod Crazy
  • Vehicle: 1938 Chevrolet Panel
  • Activity:
    0%
  • R.I.P. Kenney 12/16/2011
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:25:29 AM »
Greybeard is right. Shell Rotella is good all around motor oil. Chevron and Union 76 were also a good diesel oil and was comparable to rotella. Just have to watch some of the newer diesel oil. They are putting in less of the anti wear additives like car oil. All newer cars have roller cams so it is not as critical. Diesels have used roller cams since way before car manufactures even thought it. On  my flat tappet engines as added protection I always add a 12 oz bottle of comp cams break in lube.
If you want to run something in your fuel what I used to do in my alcohol engines was run Klotz top end lube. Alcohol is alot drier than gas, in other words it has no lube.
Passed away on 12/16/2011. You'll be missed our friend. Godspeed.

Offline Dustin Arnett

• Desert Rat
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
Motor oil & fuel additives
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »
Thanks guys.... Rotella is what I was using on the Coronet. I'll stick with that.....

Offline tattoodaddy1967

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Don't Like It Don't Read It
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
I have always used Shell Rotella 15-40 in everything since I owned my Kenworth back in the day.
Take a kid to a car or bike show...pass the hobby on to the next generation

Just because the paint is flat, don't make it a rat

Tags: