AuthorTopic: Drive train in general  (Read 3139 times)

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Drive train in general
« on: March 18, 2014, 07:22:36 PM »
I am rat hole-ing parts for a build that I will eventually contract out to someone who has the space and the know how... so here is the story... and at the end a question...

I got a 1930 model A tudor that was started as an original restore. body is perfect, frame and undercarriage has been blasted and coated, motor , trans rear end and brakes are original. I am planning to use only the body as it is 99% perfect all steal... fenders are in finish coat and body in primer...

Now here is my plan.... I want TCI to build me a frame and now the million $ question.... after looking at prices for ford crate motors and then 1/2 lit googling ford parts, stumbling onto an insurance auction website and finding that a 2014 cobra mustang (totaled rollover) with over 500 HP could be had for less than $10K... question is... is this the best way to go? If I was to buy a crate motor it would cost me more than the whole car after buying all the shit that doesn't come with a crate motor... intake, exhaust mainifold, distributor, wiring, alt and pully systems... trans and rear end....  I really want a 2010 - 2014 mustang GT with a model A body on it... I want the 4 wheel disc brakes, the power windows and locks... and the 455 HP that comes in a 2014 GT ... and I don't want to spend over $100 K in the end... I am already over 5 K in the car, storing it is around 1k yr... I don't have the place to work on it but I also have a 34 chevy rat truck that is sitting in my garage at home.... this ford I want done right, by someone who has the know how... and I fully expect to be in this car for reasonably thinking 40 -60k when done... but I don't have the bank to do it all at once... I can do it 5 -10 K at a time... hence the rat hole ing parts...

here is what I got

this is what I want

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:23:51 PM by HDrider281 »
If at 1st you dont succeed... destry all evidence that you tried

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Drive train in general
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
to add to this thread.... here is my current driver.... I want to have this in storage and the model A in the garage to drive

this chevy I don't mind cutting, welding and making stupid mistakes on.... as a matter of fact the reason I now have the model A was an impulse buy while getting a new cab for this chevy... I am a single man ... call me a narcicist (it wont bother me) with money to spend on the good shit... ( because I was smart enough in my younger days to not leave my seed in every chick who would take it without a condom) ... ( secretly I had a snip snip operation and never told anyone....LOL ) but now I have given TMI... LOL...

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:22:40 PM »
Have you checked with Mike, our resident scratch build guru for a frame ? Wanting to go all pony power is kool. But if buying that salvages GT at 10K is less than all parts total then go that route.  For your build, do you have a shop picked? And if so how long have they been there also see if they have any reference's.
Where are you located ? From the pictures it looks West coast.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »
I am just outside of Houston Texas. No I don't have a shop and I don't know Mike.  I have been to a couple of small gatherings where I have met a few people but nothing yet.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »
Check out "Cornfield Customs " here on the Nation.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Tags: