AuthorTopic: Why is my gas getting discolored?  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Chromeazone

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Why is my gas getting discolored?
« on: December 21, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »
I'm not sure if this is right thread for this post, but correct me if it is not.
I was shocked a couple of days ago when I lifted hood and saw the gas in my in-line (clear) filter was looking BLACK!
Car has been setting for a couple months, but I start it at least once a week. I pulled and cleaned gas tank a couple of years ago, so doubt if it's rust. Also new fuel hoses where needed.
Is it just old gas?? Has anyone used "GAS STABILIZER" or is that just a gimmick?
I'm grateful for any comments.
Car is '51 with Flattie and single deuce, but don't think that matters.
Thanks. :o
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:01:04 PM by Chromeazone »
"Do you think I can drive it home?"

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Why is my gas getting discolored?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »
Black to me, does not usually mean bad fuel, would instead look for decaying rubber, with fuel lines from tank to filter ALL ok, may indicate a fuel pump diaphragm going out, this can also lead to a "leak down" of fuel going to the engine.  At first a few turns of the motor builds up regular pressure.
did you have to force or squeeze one of the rubber lines to go onto a steel hose, or fitting when they were all changed?
Are there any old rubber lines left between tank, and filter?
Did anyone else put something other than gas into the tank?
rust would be brown collared in filter.
Keep us in the loop, good luck.

Offline Rust T Nuts

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
Ya probably rubber or compound breaking down.  I use fuel stabilizer in all my vehicles if they sit for more than a few months.  Lawn tractor included..

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »
As for a fuel stabilizer, only if it is a weed eater or lawn mower. As for the car I have in the past ran all of the gas out. And if you have bias ply tires need to get them off of the ground so that they don't flat spot. This year is the first that I wont run the car dry on fuel. Mainly because she is back to being a garaged lady. Unless it is days/nights like tonight she stays put, other than start and run for about 10min.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

miraclepieco

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »
Does your state have ethanol blend gasoline (most do)?  I worked three decades in the wholesale petroleum industry; ethanol is highly caustic and ate up our equipment, especially rubber components, which I suspect could be the source of the black in your system. Never use ethanol fuel in a vehicle that sits for prolonged periods.

Yes, fuel stabilizers are excellent, not a gimmick. A friend runs a small engine repair shop. He says 90% of his business is repairing fuel systems and if his customers would just use StaBil it would put him out of business.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:18:55 AM by miraclepieco »

Offline Rust T Nuts

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
I use stabilizer in my bikes over the winter and it keeps the carb from varnishing up and the float sticking.  Also use a little marvel mystery oil in the gas to help lubricate valve guides etc

Rat Tap Talk

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
I use fuel stabiler too.........it's worth the money. If you use it, once you add it into the fuel, you need to run the engine for a few minutes to help insure it gets through the entire fuel system.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Tags: