AuthorTopic: Need help, trying to bypass my lock cylinder ignition 1985 chevy column  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Dktool

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Hey guys, my keyed ignition went bad over the weekend, had to drive the old girl home holding the key in the start position.  I have bypassed the starter by using an old school tractor push button switch but to control my instruments and other fuse block items I need my key in the "run" position.  Can anyone tell me which wire i can tap into and simply put a toggle switch on the dash to turn this stuff?   Or is it easier to pull the old switch and install a new one?  The column is out of a 1985 chevy half ton.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
The actual switch is mounted down on the column under the dash.  They're inexpensive and a simple task to replace.  Why go to all of the trouble to re-wire the truck when you can just install a new switch??

Drop the column down, (two nuts, either 9/16" or 15mm)  and two 5/16" screws. unplug the two harnesses and install a new switch by reversing the process.  You can adjust the switch by trying the key with the column down and you're done.  A good mechanic can do it in 30 minutes.  A backyard wrench in about an hour!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline Dktool

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Thanks, one question though, wouldn't the problem be in the tumbler itself since i have to hold the key in the start position for stuff to work? 

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Not likely!!  The switch has numerous positions, but the key and tumbler only move the switch back and forth.  One possibility is that the screws holding the switch have loosened and are allowing the switch to slide back and forth.  More likely, the contact for the run position has failed and by holding the key in the start position, you're running off of the start circuit only.

I guess I replaced a thousand of these switches during my professional career in the auto repair industry.  The pickups are generally the easiest because there's more room under the dash!!

Offline Dktool

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Makes sense now, thanks a million, Ill let you know how it goes.

Offline Dktool

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
The switch was the problem, I really appreciate your input.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Glad I could help!!  Too many folks get intimidated by problems like you're.

What goods knowledge that isn't shared??

Tags: Blackwater