AuthorTopic: 1960 impala  (Read 9260 times)

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
1960 impala
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:20:33 PM »
The winter project has officially started. The pictures are as I bought it minus the slotted rims. I was going to stay with the rust but have decided to go with all satin canyon black and a copper roof and copper on the side where the 2 chrome pieces will end in the airplane (not on the car now as I bought this old girl half unassembled. I did get a coat of copper on the original rims this past weekend and they look great with the baby moons I'm using. If you noticed the front fender patching the PO did, thats my plan for the rear door on the drivers side. Got lots of patching to do on the inside, I'm looking up panels for the floors right now. I did drop in  a new radiator this past weekend. Most parts stores were quoting me $460-$480. Little research online and I picked up the new one from O'Reily's for $195. The original 283 4 barrel fired up, and once we got the new gas in the tank to run thru it , sounded really sweet. I'll keep posting as I do work, the brother in law is stopping out tomorrow. He is a certified welding and can't understand why I'm buying panels and cross braces when we can just build them. Works for me, cheaper too.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: 1960 impala
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:25:54 PM »
Glad here she's purring like a kitten in a cream pitcher. Cheap help is GREAT. Mine seems to point,distract and drink my beer.He did help diagnose Josh's crossed wires though.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:34:52 PM »
Having fabricated a number of panels for Lockjaw and other vehicles, and being a welder myself, trust me when I say that after a couple of rounds of starting with a flat sheet of metal, he'll soon see that "ready mades" are a lot less work and usually worth the money!!  :P :P 8)

Don't rule out the wide whites!!  Might look cool on the copper rims!!

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 09:12:12 PM »
Nice old car, good luck with the project.

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 10:20:50 PM »
Having fabricated a number of panels for Lockjaw and other vehicles, and being a welder myself, trust me when I say that after a couple of rounds of starting with a flat sheet of metal, he'll soon see that "ready mades" are a lot less work and usually worth the money!!  :P :P 8)

Don't rule out the wide whites!!  Might look cool on the copper rims!!
I agree, but the beauty of this is it doesn't have to be original. Just as long as the seat fits back in right and I can pick it up on the pinch seams on the hoist, I'll be happy. I do like that about this project.  I know when we re did the front body mounts on the scout I ended up thinking it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought it was going to be. Oh, and as far as the wide whites go, always an option as I already bought the paint.

Offline zpi28

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:21:37 PM »
Cant wait to see it painted black with that copper top. Going to using any metal flake on it? Cool ride you have here.  ;D
64 Chevrolet C10, SBC/TH350, Driving Builder..

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:12:23 AM »
Cant wait to see it painted black with that copper top. Going to using any metal flake on it? Cool ride you have here.  ;D
Thank you. The beauty of this project is I'm going to rattle can the whole car. I did this with my wood hauler and it worked great. I'm using rustoleum 2x satin canyon black, same as on the truck. I've done touch ups after having it in the woods and it blends well. I'm also using rustoleum copper metallic. What I've painted so far you can really see the metal flake. Best part is I'm probably only going to have about $50 in the whole paint job. Junk yard parts and inexpensive paint. Doesn't get any better than that.

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:18:26 AM »
Gonna try and shoot some pictures today and post them up. probably of all the floor rot.

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 02:06:03 PM »
This is the floor and all its holes. After pricing braces and floor pans online I've decided to fab it all myself. Brother in law dropped off some 1/8'' thick sheet metal today. Should be stronger than original when done.

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
Here's the hole the PO cut into the drivers side rear door. I got a piece of sheet metal cut and fabbed. It's vise gripped to the door waiting to be welded. Tomorrow hopefully.

miraclepieco

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
This is gonna be so cool! 

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »
Schweet ride. Glad the engine fired up and ran for ya.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 05:58:19 PM »
Got more done today, but for some reason the pictures wont load up. I did get the patch panel welded into the rear door.  worked out better than I thought it would. If everything keeps going this way I should have it in paint by friday night.

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 06:42:25 AM »
Got it to work, here's the pictures

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »
Burned some midnight oil and got it in paint last night. Might need another coat on the black yet.

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »
Well,I shot the hood and trunk again, lots of fade come monday morning. I also painted the front turn signal housings that I found in the trunk when digging thru all the chrome. A Buddy of mine who use to do body work for 13 years is coming by this weekend to help me get all the chrome back on it. I picked up a couple of rolls of 3M double sided tape. One way or another we're getting all the chrome back on. Probably see if I can get started on the floors too.

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »
Home early tonight. Long week. Did manage to get all the inside door panels off and mounted the outside door handles on. Big day tomorrow so I thought I would get some shuteye tonight.

Offline zpi28

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 10:59:41 AM »
Good Job, keep up the progress. It will be on the road before you know it.  ;D
64 Chevrolet C10, SBC/TH350, Driving Builder..

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 08:27:17 AM »
Nice work...keep the pics coming.

Offline Bartman

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 01:35:59 PM »
Last Friday I brought home a 1960 4 door Impala. Its metallic red, fresh 327, fresh 350 turbo, New gas tank, axle bearings and seals,air shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, dual exhaust,  windshield, power brakes with a front disc conversion, a really nice car and I got it bought right. So, I might be selling off this project. Cant afford to keep all of them and this would allow me to work on the 56 I.H truck project sooner. This car was coming along great, just things happen this way some times.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 10:44:11 AM »
Congrats on the new ride.

Tags: