AuthorTopic: First Build. 1947 Chevrolet Thriftmaster dually.  (Read 5571 times)

Offline rebelroad

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
First Build. 1947 Chevrolet Thriftmaster dually.
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »
Hi everyone my name is Scott. I recently got bitten by the rat rod bug, so on a whim I traded one of my guns for this 1947 Chevy 3/4 ton. [attachimg=1] I drove my dad's 2006 Silverado to trailer it back, and as it was struggling to pull the heavy beast up the winding Arkansas hills it dawned on me that I should build a pulling rig!  I would really like do a diesel dually build, but it's not really in the budget, so I'm thinking I may start out with a 454... but I'd really like it to eventually be a diesel.  I don't have much experience with building vehicles outside of repairing my Jeep when it needs it. That's what brought me here. I'm not sure what chassis, transmission, and rear end will work well together.  Are all transmissions interchangeable with all rear ends with some modification? I'm guessing it would depend on the splines on the drive shaft yokes? I really have no idea. What about the pairing of the engine to the transmission bellhousing? For example is there a transmission that is compatible with a 454 AND a Duramax or Cummins? Does anyone have any good resources for figuring our which combinations of all these components are compatible?  Thanks for any information!  Hopefully I'll be able to share some build pics with you soon.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: First Build. 1947 Chevrolet Thriftmaster dually.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 04:39:17 AM »
Welcome to the nation Scott, it's great to meet you. There is a long answer and a short answer. Short answer which will probably be the best, you are going to be better off building in one direction. Either diesel or gasoline. If gasoline is in your budget, I would build in that direction. It would get really expensive to build gasoline, then convert to diesel.
Frame wise, you'll be busy with fitment but you can use an S10 frame or look for a mid 80's Chevy truck one ton frame. Either one will be work, but you can make either work. The mid 80's Chevy frame may be your best bet since you may find one with an engine, trans and rear end. Probably have to shorten the frame by cutting the front and rear of the frame. Measure the wheel base will be your best bet. Figure out what your center to center is on your Chevy, then do the same on the mid 80's Chevy and see if the numbers are close.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline hollisc10

First Build. 1947 Chevrolet Thriftmaster dually.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:09:18 AM »
I like seeing the old trucks back on the road! Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 07:40:08 AM »
Hey Scott!! Welcome to the Nation from Tennessee!!  You'll find a lot of interchangeability in the GM line, but gas to diesel isn't among the easy swaps. If you look at my avatar you'll see a one ton 4WD GM drivetrain under an old Jeep pickup. Since a lot of this is new to you, hotwheels and hollisc10 are steering you right. A later model GM pickup will let you literally bolt whatever engine, transmission, and rear end you want into a perfectly stock frame. There are all sorts of aftermarket goodies you can choose from too, even bagger kits you can buy or copy if you're going for the "in the weeds" look. For a pulling rig, you can't beat this platform for options and ease of assembly. You may even be able to find a running Dually to just swap cabs and beds onto. You'll have to make body mounts or modify or move the ones that are there, but a running or repairable late model pickup could be a super option.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »
Welcome to the nation from S Illinois. If you look on craigslist sometimes you can find a cheap running chassis. Older GM diesels are not so hot performance wise. And I've been told that they don't hop up well. A Powerstroke maybe found cheaper than a Cummins. Gas engines can found really easily. older ones don't need a computer but newer ones do. I originally had a computer motor in the Boog bug. If your careful they can be wired pretty easy.Some of the Chevy's even have a stand alone computer. And the new tranny's are also computerized
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »
To go gas & duelly I would look for a motor home, non computer type, most have a lot of miles left but are no longer clean inside for motorhome use.

miraclepieco

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »
The best advice I can give is more philosophical than mechanical:

Remember: lots more projects are started than finished. For your first build, don't get overly ambitious. Since you are relatively inexperienced it will take longer to do everything, and you may get either bored or discouraged.  You're more likely to finish it if you do everything the simplest and least expensive way possible. Get it on the road first and don't waste excessive time on trivia, like power windows or whatever. My first build took eight  years!  It's a miracle I persevered. My later builds all took less than a year.

hollisc10 has done several '47-'54 GM truck thread on this forum. He gets 'em done in about six months. Study his build thread for many good ideas.

miraclepieco

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »
BTW, are you planned on going fenderless or full-fendered?

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:03:36 PM »
miraclepieco is right!!  Keep it clean and simple!!  If you're feeling the reward of a cruise in a ride you put together, It's a lot easier and more fun to do new things to it or move on to another more challenging project!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Tags: