AuthorTopic: Getting a title?  (Read 7155 times)

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
  • Referrals: 0
Getting a title?
« on: September 09, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »
I know it has been asked a million times but I did search (google)......i thought i had it figured out because my truck had a good cowl tag with the numbers easy to make out and from searching that led me to Broadway title.....anyhow 895 bucks for a title is crazy no way I will make a planter out of my 200 dollar truck cab and forget it before I do that.....anyone recommend any other title company that could do it for a couple hundred or anyone have a better idea?
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Getting a title?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:38:54 PM »
WOW that's a ton! Around $300.00 should be about right, last time I checked. I sure hope that it hasn't gone that high as I need one.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »
With a good data plate, you should be able to file directly to the state for a lost title.  If you have a bill of sale this should trigger a title search and if no one contests it, you should get a title.

In my case, neither the Model A nor the '24 dodge had a serial number on the body, so I had to file for a builder's title.  $300.00
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 04:39:06 AM »
you may fine someone with one you could buy , for a couple hundred or so . it is more common than you may thing . what type of truck is it

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:04:55 AM »
It is a 1938 Chevrolet pickup. I will get ahold of who I bought it from but I am sure the cab was never titled to him he had bought it for parts. I might look into purchasing a title but only as a last resort I want to keep it as "legit" as possible unless it's outrageous. To me it should not be that difficult I am taking a pile of metal no one else wants and trying to bring it back to something useful.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »
Wish the money hungry government looked at our hobby like most of us do but they don't. The state of Illinois requires you to put up 1 1/2 times the appraised value and can take as long as 1 to 3 years to get your title back. That's a long ass time to have a toy sitting in the garage collecting dust! I've seen a lot of trailer queens because of title problems. Not trying to discourage you. Check with your DMV.
There is title companies out there that can help for $$$$. Might check with  one of those also if the DMV has you jumping through hoops of red tape.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »
I don't know what the laws in Mo. are. You might could title a donor chassis, like putting it on an S10 and using that title. 

I don't know how much of the vehicle you have to use or what percentage, but this could be an option.

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 01:38:33 PM »
It will be open wheel no fenders or hood so in my opinion an s10 chassis is out of the question. It's a 1938 chevy pickup all I have at the moment is a cab and doors it will be open wheel as I said suicide front end, z' d in the rear with 4 link and coilovers.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
I would STILL explore titling it off of a donor car!!

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
I may very well go down that route and see if I can get ahold of one of the titles from a donor. Just try to do things as correct and by the book as I can.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
Well I found a title for 275 it is signed by seller but open on buyer side. There are no dates on it but it is an old title and the spots for dates say it was sold on_________day of _______month_______193_. It worries me a little that the title says 193_. Mot sure what DMV will say about crossing that out and replacing it with 2017.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »
Mine for the bug was dated 10 years earlier . I just filled out a paper then signed it and 6 weeks later I had a title. Worst case scenario is they frown and say no.  ;D

Offline 46rat

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »
I talk to the Springfield highway patrol a while back and if you have a receipt for the steel that you used on frame. A bill of sale for motor and the pickup body. Just make appointment at the highway patrol inspection office take it to them. He said it's really not bad. Just take a lot of pictures as you build it because they what see that you built it.  I the dnv has the paperwork you need to get it done.

Tags: