AuthorTopic: coil over shocks  (Read 6489 times)

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
coil over shocks
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:53:19 AM »
has any one used coil over shocks from sprint car or race car type there is a flea market were they can be had cheap ? or cheaper

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: coil over shocks
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:19:47 AM »
Yup, we have some on the 31 build. Used em on the rear end........Work nice, but had to order different springs for weight.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:05:26 PM »
what spring rate are you using

miraclepieco

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »
I use the coilover springs from sprint cars and add them to my own shocks. Racers replace springs frequently and you can get them inexpensively on Ebay - any rate or length. Plus they have the advantage of being actually tested on a machine to determine true spring rate. On the rear of my '34 pickup (2100 lbs) I tried everything from 150-175 lbs. in an attempt to balance ride height and handling. Settled on 170 lb - stiff but handled great. I still have a bunch of used springs laying around from all my trial and error (see pic).

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:12:01 AM »
that is great one of the flea markets is this sunday so now I have a starting point . I am still thinking about switching the front to coil overs also . is that a good - or - bad idea

thanks for the info

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »
You can run coils on the front too if you want. The rear spring ratings were 185#. If i were putting some of the front, i would use 500# minimums, that way you have plenty of support for the motor, radiator, etc....

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 05:01:06 AM »
well after going to the flea market for the shocks and some other piece I found . I ended up with 4 pro shocks that are in good shape #5 for the front with 400 pd. springs  and #6 for the rear with 180 pd. springs for the rear . the #6 shock are pretty stiff , maybe to still . I took all the lef spring stuff off the front and mounted the shocks and so far seem ok . I am not sure that I like the brackets that I made yet they work and are adjustable but I may have to rethink them . I will send pic to get other thought on them 

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »
Right on man, that is awesome.......

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »
I find myself putting thing togather then sitting back and looking at it and then changing it in some way . I am glad there are not a lot of rules to follow like in some builds . I am finding rat rod can be very interesting to build because you only have to build what fells right to you .

miraclepieco

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »
I am glad there are not a lot of rules to follow like in some builds . I am finding rat rod can be very interesting to build because you only have to build what fells right to you .

Exactly right! So-called "traditional" hot rods and resto-rods are very prescribed - very little creativity. Rat rods are liberating, creative and fun!

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »
I am glad there are not a lot of rules to follow like in some builds . I am finding rat rod can be very interesting to build because you only have to build what fells right to you .

Exactly right! So-called "traditional" hot rods and resto-rods are very prescribed - very little creativity. Rat rods are liberating, creative and fun!

Absolutely! That's why, after selling my muscle car, I decided to get back into the hobby when I discovered rat rods. I found the fact that things didn't have to be done this way or that way absolutely liberating and it drew me in like a moth to a flame. I suspect that that's what draws many other people in as well. Let the creativity flow...

Offline dcacjc

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »

[/quote]

Absolutely! That's why, after selling my muscle car, I decided to get back into the hobby when I discovered rat rods. I found the fact that things didn't have to be done this way or that way absolutely liberating and it drew me in like a moth to a flame. I suspect that that's what draws many other people in as well. Let the creativity flow...
[/quote]

I could not agree more, this is so much more fun than when i was building Chevelles!!
David

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
It was Road Runners for me, but yeah, much more fun indeed!

Tags: