AuthorTopic: Frame tolerance  (Read 3104 times)

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
  • Referrals: 0
Frame tolerance
« on: November 24, 2017, 10:54:06 AM »
Got my frame built....i did not have a jig or an acorn table to weld it on so the garage floor it is.....its within an 1/8" of being square probably a 1/16" really and the heights etc. For my kickup all seem correct but I have a substantial rock from front to back corners like 9/16". Should I worry about that? I do think it is amplified a little by where the finished frame is sitting on the concrete floor but it has pulled  from welding none the less.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Frame tolerance
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »
I would run a string line or something straight on the floor to check it for level as best you can .
you could put a good piece of angle iron on the rail it self and see if it is straight .
the 1/8 of and inch will not hurt any thing because when your suspension is put on you will need to make everything sq then .
were you step up the frame in the front are you going to gusset the top and bottom for reinforcrement ?
the frame looks good

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
It will get fish plates on sides and gusseted on the bottom......we are swamped at work so waiting on  the engineers to draw up all my brackets and gusset so I can have them waterjetted.in the mean time I set the cab on and axles around it to get some motivation.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »
what are you using for spring in the front . looks like you have a plan

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 04:40:54 PM »
It's a "suicide" front end with a 31" reverse eye spring.......looks like the bottom of the cab will be about 7.5" from the ground anyone think that's too much I really don't want to channel it
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
7.5 inches sounds fine to me. Still able to get over speedbumps (potholes here in Illinois) Looks good set up like that.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Tags: