AuthorTopic: Getting your Rat titled and smog exempt........in California!  (Read 7213 times)

Offline 2.3Turbo_T

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Getting your Rat titled and smog exempt........in California!
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:20:38 AM »
Alright, I'm on a roll now!  Third tech article in 2 days.  I'll stop for awhile after this one!

As you've probably seen in my other posts, my '27 roadster is the proverbial basketcase!  There is no VIN, no identifying marks and no paperwork for the car.  To top it off, I live in California where our smog laws are the most stringent in the country!  We do however, have one small saving grace.  It's called the SB100 law.  SB standing for Senate bill.  Under the SB100 law there are 500 alotted spaces each year in which a vehicle can be registered under the YOM (Year of Manufacture).  It must also be titled as a SPCNS (Specially Constructed Vehicle).

This means hot rods with custom frames, fuel guzzling motors and normally illegal (in California) aftermarket parts can be legally registered in the sunshine state AND the SB100 law makes them smog exempt!

Most people think..........good luck!  With almost 30 million cars in California what are the chances of getting one of the 500 alotted spots?!  Well I'm here to tell you.........the chances are surprisingly good and it's a much easier process than imagined.  Here's how I got the roadster's title and smog exemption!

On Monday January 4, 2010 (the first business day of the new year) I got up at 6:30am and parked my butt in front of DMV by 7:00. It opened at 8:00. I was third in line! The goal was to have my '27 entered into the Calif DMV system so I could obtain a Certificate of Sequence number, commonly called an SB100 number. An SB100 number is the number you receive that's within the 500 allotted #s for smog exemption.............read on............

Definitions from California DMV webpage

<!-- #EndEditable --><!-- #BeginEditable "section_number" -->580<!-- #EndEditable -->. <!-- #BeginEditable "section_content" -->A "specially constructed vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520, which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts.<!-- #EndEditable -->
<!-- #BeginEditable "addl_section_content" -->
<!-- #EndEditable -->
<!-- #BeginEditable "section_change_history" -->Amended Ch. 1286, Stats. 1983. Effective January 1, 1984.

Specially Constructed Vehicles- Emission Control
<!-- #BeginEditable "content" -->What is the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program?

Existing law requires most 1976 and newer model year vehicles to pass an emissions control inspection (smog check) prior to original registration, transfer of ownership, and every second annual renewal. Since Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCNS) are homemade and do not have a manufacturer-assigned model year, they must be taken to a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station for the original inspection. Upon completion of the inspection, the referee will affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the model-year for future inspection purposes.

Per California Vehicle Code §4750.1, the first 500 program applicants in each calendar year may choose whether the inspection is based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. If the engine or the vehicle does not sufficiently resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the model-year.

After the first 500 vehicles have been registered in any calendar year, all others will be assigned the same model-year as the calendar year in which the application is submitted.

Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different model-year determination.
What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?

An SPCNS Certificate of Sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose emission control inspection based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. The certificate is issued by DMV Headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Per statute, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.

SPCNS Certificates of Sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. The seller of a vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS Certificate of Sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.

Note: Due to the limited number of SPCNS Certificates of Sequence available, you may wish to submit your application for registration in person at a local DMV office.

History:

'27 T roadster body only. Plans call for a homemade frame, turbo'd 2.3, T5, etc. Remember, T's had the original VIN on the engine block and it's long gone. The only things I walked into DMV with were a 'bill of sale' from the previous owner, the craigslist ad where I found it, a picture of the car in my backyard, and these forms...........
Form 343..........Application for Title or Registration
Form 124..........Application for Assigned VIN plate
Form 5036........Statement of Construction
Form 256..........Statement of Facts

Make sure whoever helps you is knowledgeable in the Specially Constructed Vehicle registration process. My clerk took the 3 of us at one time. One guy had a Factory Five '65 Shelby clone and the second guy had a '55 Chevy gasser.

First thing the clerk did was enter my T into the system. That's where forms 343 and 124 came in. Next, he rushed immediately to the telephone and began to call Sacramento to get us assigned the SB100 number. That is the holy grail! A number within the 500 allotted numbers. The local offices have one designated phone number to call to access the SB100 database. Needless to say, the first time he called the line was busy. He was a great clerk. He brought 3 telephones to his desk, sat there and for over an hour just kept hitting redial on all 3 phones until he got through!! Unbelievable! At 9:20 he finally got through! 10 minutes later he came over and handed me the appropriate paperwork. My SB100 number was 90. I paid $36 in fees and now have the choice of having my car smogged as a '27 or '88 (year of motor).........guess which one I'm choosing!

I've been assigned a temporary VIN that's good for 3 years, or whenever I have the car safety certified by the CHP, whichever comes first. If I don't have it finished by the 3 year mark, I simply take the paperwork back to DMV and have it updated.

Once it's running I need to have a CHP officer inspect it and sign off. Basically it needs to have lights, horn, seat belts, working brakes, turnsignals and a few other things.

Next, I go to the BAR referee where I'll choose to have it smogged based on the year of body, 1927. Oh wait! 1927 is outside the jurisdiction of current California smog laws! Oh well!

I hope this info will help someone else.  January 2012 is right around the corner.  May want to consider camping in front of DMV on the first business day of 2012.  Go get that SB100 Sequence number! Good luck!

Offline Dustin Arnett

• Desert Rat
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Getting your Rat titled and smog exempt........in California!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 03:42:17 AM »
That was a biggin but a good one. Thanks for sharing with us & don't worry about posting to much. This is the first site I cruise every day & when all is read on this one I move to the next. I'm a youngster in building custom cars & feel like I'm going to school every time I jump on these sites. Feel free to overload us with helpful info..... Thanks

~Dustin

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: Getting your Rat titled and smog exempt........in California!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:18:36 PM »
Awesome article........
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Tags: