AuthorTopic: newbie  (Read 8472 times)

Offline ins2g8r

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« on: November 29, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
Hi all, been looking at rat rods and finally picked up a 46 ford 1 ton. wondering what is the better way to go as far as frames go. I like the look of them dropped when parked with bags, seen s10 frames, DIY plans for single or double z, but am not sure which way to go, any help on ideas is welcome, thanks in advance.

miraclepieco

Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:32:23 PM »
That's a great truck!   Lots of decisions to make: do you want to fun full fendered, fenderless, IFS or I-beam front end? S10 frames work good for full-fendered vehicles. Or you can box the original frame. If it were me, I'd just keep the frame that's under it; everything already fits. Then if you want IFS just weld in a Mustang II.  Half the fun is in the planning! 

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 02:40:13 PM »
Good looking start What are your skills? Mig welder? Stick only? If you need to ask questions remember the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask/ We have a lot of super talented guys on here And they like to help as needed
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline ins2g8r

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »
That's a great truck!   Lots of decisions to make: do you want to fun full fendered, fenderless, IFS or I-beam front end? S10 frames work good for full-fendered vehicles. Or you can box the original frame. If it were me, I'd just keep the frame that's under it; everything already fits. Then if you want IFS just weld in a Mustang II.  Half the fun is in the planning!
thanks for the info. not sure which way to go yet, I was thinking of going to local metal scrap yard and looking for some old steel diamond plate and doing a wrecker out of it, make up a fake hoist, drop it chop it, tub it out under the wrecker part. I have a 454 bored out to a 468 ci just sitting, but am thinking about a turbo 5.3.  the engine was pulled before I got it as well as the box.

Offline ins2g8r

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »
Good looking start What are your skills? Mig welder? Stick only? If you need to ask questions remember the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask/ We have a lot of super talented guys on here And they like to help as needed

this will be my first rat rod, have done several salvaged cars and trucks, have a mig, just built a detached garage I plan to use to do this in, no heat or electric out there yet and starting to be cold in Wisconsin.   

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
Welcome to the nation, looks like a good start, changing the front as described earlier, and installing a simple drivetrain puts you on the road the easiest, make sure you do good brakes too.

Offline ins2g8r

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »
If I went fender less would I still want to use factory frame or build one?

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 07:40:23 PM »
Fenderless and the old frame will be kool Just remember its your build Make you happy not everyone else
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »
Welcome I no I asked a lot of question and a lot of them were wrong but the group talked me through it . it was my first build . I really enjoyed it , finished this last summer . drove it around some it has been fun . this winter I am going to make some changes , so the questions will start again

Offline ins2g8r

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 06:31:57 PM »
Fenderless and the old frame will be kool Just remember its your build Make you happy not everyone else

ok, the pic I posted was from guy I bought it from over the phone, today when I picked it up I couldn't be more happy, I will run the fenders, I love it!  I should have made myself more clear.  the look I am after is when parked the cab looks like it is sitting on the ground. I am thinking that is done with air bags. so....if I understand  miraclepieco,  if I run fenders, then I can run an s10 frame or stock. and I would not want a double z frame mod I think,  if I understand it, that is for trucks without fenders? and a single z just raises the rear end? thanks for the help guys, I cant say how happy I am to buy this truck. I just don't know what frame mods if any I need to do to get the look I am after.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:58:37 PM »
Truck looks like a good start, left front tire is low on air, see we are offering helpful advice already.
weren't those trucks referred to as "jailhouse trucks" because of the front grill?

Offline ins2g8r

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
Truck looks like a good start, left front tire is low on air, see we are offering helpful advice already.
weren't those trucks referred to as "jailhouse trucks" because of the front grill?

Yeah, I have to put a plug I. It and air if up.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 09:57:09 PM »
You might do a Crown Vic front end with bags and Z the rear frame and do a bag setup back there too. If it was mine and I was doing the wrecker look, I'd swap in a dually rear end or a set of really wide rear wheels and tires.

Welcome from Middle Tennessee!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline ins2g8r

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
picked up a Dana 60 for my new rear end.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »
Welcome to the nation, it's great to meet ya. Like the plan with your rat rod so far. Allot of times the build will just come together as you start building.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline ins2g8r

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »
Picked up a 5.3 from a  2004 silverado

Tags: