AuthorTopic: Welder to Dryer outlet  (Read 5358 times)

miraclepieco

Welder to Dryer outlet
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
Progress has been non-existent on my '29 while I get my new welder set up. It's a Chicago Electric 180 240V unit which is replacing my Lincoln 125 120V model.  I've always used 120 welder because I don't have a 240 outlet in my garage, and with the 120 unit I can plug it in anywhere there's an outlet. For frame welding, I would tack it together with my 120 then take it to someone with a big welder to finish weld. For the $300 they charged me last time however, I figured I could buy a Harbor Freight welder and do it myself, and if it breaks down I still have money left to buy another one!  So to power the new 220 unit I used the time-honored practice of fab'ing an adapter cord to plug it into my clothes dryer outlet. The dryer is a 30-amp 4-prong, the welder is 3-prong so below is a diagram of how to wire it. Just leave off the neutral, or bottom L-shaped connector.  The cord is 8-gauge, 40' long so I can take it anywhere in my garage with no voltage drop. I plugged it in, the welder welds, so it must be okay! 

Oh yeah, I'm also pretty impressed with the quality of the HF welder. All heavy duty parts throughout. I've bought cheap welders before and been disappointed; not this time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:15:05 PM by miraclepieco »

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Welder to Dryer outlet
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:09 PM »
good deal i also made an extention cord for my mig i acquired an shielded direct bury cable. doesn't roll up tight but can't kink it so it slides easily around stuff  ;D would hate to buy the 40' i got given to me :P
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:00:16 PM »
Done a lot of welding with the dryer unpluged myself worked great. Have my old craftsman 220 that I started with still around you can have it if'n ya want, good down low, or up high, mid-range is a pain. Gives you a back up if you want. I'm working off a miller unit now.

Offline Dogfather

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
Hey miraclepieco  you said 8Ga can you give a little more definition 8/3 or 8/4 where might someone find such stuff?

Sorry for bringing up old threads...

I'm just getting started
Edward

Offline dcacjc

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
I used 8/3 on mine and got it a Home Depot
David

miraclepieco

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
I used 8/3 on mine and got it a Home Depot

What he said  ^^^

Offline Dogfather

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
why does it look like an extension cord?
Edward

miraclepieco

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »
why does it look like an extension cord?

So I can run the welder all the way outside if I have to.

Tags: