AuthorTopic: I'm torn on rear suspension  (Read 3495 times)

Offline rab71

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
I'm torn on rear suspension
« on: October 13, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
I'm torn, on one hand I want old school look. On the other hand, I want a modern touch.  My rear suspension is quarter ellipticals.  Using the springs as the upper links.  The question is do I use short four link bars for the lower, ot long bars that go up the frame?   Here is my kick up, as you can see, it is short.  The differential will be pretty snug to the back of the tub which will make it have short arms.  Thoughts?

miraclepieco

Re: I'm torn on rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 01:37:29 AM »
The longer the arms, the smoother the ride. That being said, I always end up with lower arms about 12" long cuz I attach them to the rear kick kind of like yours. The lower arms must have geometry compatible with your upper ellipticals, so I'm afraid they'll have to be relatively short.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:42:03 AM by miraclepieco »

Offline clawhamer

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My first rat rod build, 1927 5 window coupe.
I'm torn on rear suspension
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 09:16:37 AM »
I'm in the process myself,  ive triangulated my four link due to tight fit as well

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

: 1927 5 window coupe

Offline rab71

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: I'm torn on rear suspension
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
I found this which seems quite helpful.  Looks like the upper should be about 70%  of the lower.  I think that will actually work well.  Thanks for your insight all.  I will just have to get past the fact that it doesn't look "old school"...
http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/parallel-4-link.html

Tags: