AuthorTopic: 318 wide block?  (Read 4029 times)

Offline tetanus62

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
318 wide block?
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:42:58 PM »
 OK there gear heads. I am new at Dodge motors and I am trying to find out what size this pig is. The car is a 62 Dodge Dart 440 wagon and the guy who I got it from thought it was a 413 but from what I can find out I think it is a 318 wide block. I can not find the engine code stamp to run the numbers. Thanks for any help

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Re: 318 wide block?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »
It looks like a Poly Head 318. Do the valve covers have a sort of stepped shape from front to back just above the exhaust manifolds? If so, then that's what it is. More info here: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/a-engines.html

Offline tetanus62

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
Yes it does have those valve covers. I am going to try and get it to run on sun it would be a lot easier to move around if it is on its own power. Have you ever felt with a 318 poly/ wide block before Rubberhead?

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »
I've seen them in the past, but I've never actually owned one, so I can't speak about them from experience. They do look nice and unique primarily because of their unusual valve covers, but I can't tell you anything about them beyond that. The link that I provided should be of some help though. If I were you, I would just deal with it as you would any engine that's been sitting for years and go from there, but it's certainly something that I would keep if it is useable...

Offline tetanus62

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
Yeah I know how to deal with old motors. It has not ran since 96 but still turns over NICE. Oil change will be done before hand and fresh non-ethanol gas for starters.I will pull the plugs and check the points before I start. I totally like the valve covers and its nice to look under a hood and not see a Chevy 350. Just saying........

Offline tetanus62

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 03:13:19 AM »
Motor runs great!!!!! I need to rebuild the carb and give it a tune up. It does puff some blue smoke but that might just go away if i run it some more.

Offline Xlarashun

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
The early poly's are Great Engines!! I have had 15 or 20 of them over the years and they Never failed to get me home, unless I just Totally ignored noises from them! I think it was Hot Rod mag that run an article on one and they called it "the Rodney Dangerfield" of Mopars! They bored it out, threw in a 4" mopar stroker crank cleaned up the heads, and ran en Edelbrock intake on it. it made 400 HP and a lot more torque! I have one right now that is going in my Wrecker and it still has the Push Button trans behind it! 1963 going into a 1946 Dodge one ton Rat Wrecker! In my '64 Furies,  i usually got 19 to 25 mpg depending how excited I was on the Go Pedal!
Sanity is Not a Requirement, It just Slows Ya Down!!

Offline Xlarashun

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »
Found the article! it is in Moparmusclemag! Just type in 'The Rodney Dangerfield of Mopar engines' and it will pop up!
Sanity is Not a Requirement, It just Slows Ya Down!!

Tags: