AuthorTopic: Lake Pipes on a 50's car  (Read 8610 times)

Offline blackheart472

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Hearse driver
  • Referrals: 0
Lake Pipes on a 50's car
« on: February 16, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »
Hi, me again, well as fate would have it, I picked up a '53 Pontiac Chieftain, to go with my '56 Pontiac hearse, it has a SBC in it, sad, but will fix eventually. In the mean time I have to make do. It doesn't have an exhaust, so I want to run lake pipes, the car has long type headers on it now, but am willing to change, if possible to block huggers, or even stock types. My question is; Is under the frame the only way to get lake pipes to work?  I really don't want to lose the ground clearance, or cut the frame.
Of Corpse I drive a Hearse !!!

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
Re: Lake Pipes on a 50's car
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:00:45 AM »
That is a Super Chief.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:06:40 AM »
Lets see if any of this helps:

It may sound like common sense but one of the most important things to think about when you hook up your Lake Pipes, Dump Tubes, Mufflers or Bellflowers is the “flow” of the exhaust gasses coming from your engine. The diagram below shows: 1. the wrong way to make a connection, 2. connection made using a simple flaring tool, 3. using a pre-made coupler and 4. butt welding the connection.

1. Any interruption/obstruction in the flow of gasses from the engine to the tail-pipe will rob your engine of power, decrease efficiency/fuel economy and even cause problems with things like valves and spark plugs. Make sure the connection is smooth and if you have to connect with different sizes of piping…the smaller goes INTO the larger.

2. The simplest way to make a connection is to use a flaring tool…basically a conical shaped chunk of iron that is forced into the exhaust tubing to make one end big enough to fit over another. Requires some pretty good welding techniques to seal the gap.

3. Using a coupler/reducer from the auto parts store is the easiest way to make a connection. If you’re not an expert welder, you can even use exhaust clamps to hold the connection together. Easiest way to go.

4. Butt –welding the connection is the cleanest way to go but you better be “Good in a Hood” because the weld has to be perfect. Fit…tack…remove…finish weld…grind…polish… It’s a real job but the end result is as custom as it gets!

www.kustomcarparts.com 855-776-9537

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »
I hope that this one helped.

Offline blackheart472

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Hearse driver
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
Thanks, I have done exhaust before and understand the flow thing, pipe fitting. I also don't plan to run it as a secondary system but as the only system. Pontiac unlike Chevy have their heater under the drivers seat, which makes dual exhaust almost impossible, and would require the x member to be cut.  What I'm thinking is to use some other type of manifolds that would not let out so far back, and come out behind the lower control arm, along the wheel well to the lake pipes, I found several sets of pipes that have built in mufflers that should keep the sound streetable. I guess what I need to know is; Is this doable? has anyone done this before? is it possible to perhaps go over the frame/steering instead of under the frame, and if I went that way, how much cutting of wheel well would I have to do?
Thanks

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »
What I have in mind I would have to get a visual on it. 1 option is to take 2 into 1 then back out as 2. I still would have to get a visual. I did kustom exhaust back in the day.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »
Have you thought about just using fenderwell headers: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/fenderwell-headers

Offline blackheart472

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Hearse driver
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 10:37:45 PM »
Interesting idea, thanks

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:32:20 AM »
If you run fender well headers into the lakes you can get baffles and stuff them. Not knowing what your states restrictions on noise.

Offline blackheart472

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Hearse driver
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
I'm liking the fender well headers, but think I will have a few problems, 1; this is not a Chevy, motor may not be in same location,2; Pontiacs have a heater duct that runs up drivers side firewall were header on that side would exit. 3; how will that affect tire clearance on a stock height car? 4; will that change the stock look of the car too much?

Offline blackheart472

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Hearse driver
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »
Also, tell me about these baffles, were do I get them, how do they install/work.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
Also, tell me about these baffles, were do I get them, how do they install/work.

Motorcycle baffles should be the right fit. I have seen them made secure with self tapping screws.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »
I'm liking the fender well headers, but think I will have a few problems, 1; this is not a Chevy, motor may not be in same location,2; Pontiacs have a heater duct that runs up drivers side firewall were header on that side would exit. 3; how will that affect tire clearance on a stock height car? 4; will that change the stock look of the car too much?
I've never personally owned anything that ran them, but the ones that I have seen come pretty much straight out and then down or out, up and then down. You may not find any that fit your application perfectly and probably won't, so you'll likely have to modify them somewhat. If you choose this route, I would get a second hand set so that you have something to start with and modify them as necessary. You can also buy a set of flanges and build your own, but that would be difficult without a tubing bender. Is it possible to modify the lower portion of your existing headers to maybe remove the collectors and run the individual tubes side-by-side outward under the frame and then reinstall the collectors to connect to the side pipes? Just thinking out loud here...

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
Also in order to run headers through the fender wells you will need clearance. And to get it you will need to raise the front end.  Or to solve the heater issue go with a system from vintage air or classic auto air or  something along those lines.

Offline blackheart472

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Hearse driver
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
Thanks guys, I think I may try ramhorn type stock manifolds or block huggers that dump strait down, if there is enough room between block and steering box.

Offline blackheart472

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Hearse driver
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 09:14:34 PM »
update, I ended up going with clipper style headers, still had to adjust left side No. 1 pipe with a ball peen hammer and torch but it works. It turned out my Chevy heads are so old they have no mounting holes up front, or the secondary exhaust bolt hole, and the steering box is too close to use anything else other than to build them myself. The car is up and running now, most bugs worked out. You can see pics on my Facebook page, Wilfred Quinones, too many things to say that I've done at this point, so "friend" me and check her out.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 07:55:32 AM »
Glad you got er worked out. I was thinking on this one and figured you could use some old corvette hugger headers and come out from under the frame. Great work.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.