AuthorTopic: sbc megasquirt?  (Read 2407 times)

Offline madjester30

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
sbc megasquirt?
« on: December 20, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »
hello
sorry if i am asking million questions on here but I have another.
I have a crate 350 and i had planned on just going with a edelbrock 600 carb  but after talking to some local car guys that all seem to be in agreeance that i should run fuel injection and megasquirt. said it would be easier to tune, better gas,better performance,better reliability and a cooler look if i used a 3x2 intake.. 

i am a bit confused if this is true and how it would work. are they tiny thottle bodys or modified carbs and how does it work with a car with no hood? do you run the wiring through tube so they dont get wet?

I am asking for some advice and guidance as this will be my daily driver

benjy

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
  • Referrals: 0
Re: sbc megasquirt?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »
I have ran the Edelbrock carb and intake with MSD for spark for about 8 or 9 years and no side effects. To me if you are going the electronic FI then you have to hook up the computer system. I know that all the car guy shows talk all the good stuff, but the set up $$$$$ vs oldskool $$$. Besides when building and I wanted fuel economy I would have ??. Na I want the sound and feel of that 4bbl sucking gas.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
Re: sbc megasquirt?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »
I am not that familiar with the system you are describing, however that doesn't seem to stop me from throwing in an opinion.
The standard four barrel old system can be fixed by just about anybody, just about anywhere, has lots of power, and Ok economy.
I am looking to put many miles this coming year ( amy be visiting fellow Nation folks) on just such a motor even though it may not be as "cool" as a Hemi, or flathead, it should get me home, and with left over $$ in my pocket.
Will consider changing to a good tri power in the future, for looks, and fuel economy, but still would be a SBC 350.
And would be more prone to problems mainly from air getting by the outside carbs after time.

Tags: