AuthorTopic: 38 Chevy frame ID number  (Read 2415 times)

brett93304

38 Chevy frame ID number
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
I am building a 1938 Chevy truck, at some point I will need to register it, I have the "Pink" slip that came with it but could not find any markings or number on the old frame.
After doing some research I fould that somtimes there would be numbers stamped in the frame toward the back, does any one have any photos of where and how these numbers were stamped?

I know the numbers on my pick would not have mached the frame numbers anyway just wondering.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: 38 Chevy frame ID number
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »
I know some are on the passenger side rail on the top, bout the middle of the frame........Others were on the drivers side rail on the drivers side of the engine on the rail.....
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline mdracers

Re: 38 Chevy frame ID number
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
From what I read when trying to title my 31 chevy was that chevy didn't have "VIN" numbers untill like 1947.  In 47 the industry must of adopted what ford was doing for numbering there cars because there VIN numbers go back to the late 20's. Before 47 chevy had serial numbers. On my 31 it was nailed to the kick panel on the right side which often got kicked off and lost.  So some states started using the number off the engine block. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:46:42 PM by mdracers »

Tags: