AuthorTopic: Not much solid body left?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
  • Referrals: 0
Not much solid body left?
« on: September 07, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »
I acquired a 1938 chevy pickup cab  and doors today to start from scratch. This cab is good in places but rough and rusted out in alot of others so it is not very solid. Wondering if I could get some advice and direction and pictures of how to go about making it solid once again....where the cab meets the floor is pretty decenegrated in several spots.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:43:54 AM by notw »
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Re: Not much solid body left?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
You got a lot of GOOD stuff there!!   :P 8)  I've seen a lot worse start-ups!!

A lot of it will be just making patch panels and then cutting out the bad and welding in new metal. I did a lot of that on ol' Lockjaw!!  A gentle touch with a MiG or TiG will be your best choice.  Remember!!  It's a RAT!!! Perfect is only what suits YOU!!

Here's some shots of different repairs I did  myself!  I DID order one lower panel for the right door.  I had to cut it down and weld it in myself. The rest I had a local metal fab shop bend up pieces that I could do the final shaping myself.  It was really inexpensive, but some of it was labor intensive.

You can see more if you check out my thread in Rat Rod Builds.  Blackwater's Coupe's Gettin' Fat.  There's a bunch of pics there too. A lot of other builds up there that you can glean information and see how others did it!!

Lots of great folks here!! If you wanna' know, don't hesitate ta' ask!!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:19:18 AM by Blackwater »
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply. That is encouraging to see and looks good. Just trying to see the best way of going about it I am going to try to keep the patching on the inside as much as possible so I can keep the original look on the outside. I am blessed enough to work at a fab shop and have access to water jet, sheer, brake, rolls, machine shop etc. So that helps although I try to not overuse my resource there since most of those things run production constant. Also have a good welder at home (the machine not the person) so that helps.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »
well if your in for challenge that is good , just don't let it get you down . Take your time easier to do one time I learned the hard way by doing thing over and some time over again . two pic the begging and the end 

Tags: