AuthorTopic: laker type exhaust  (Read 5110 times)

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
laker type exhaust
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
I would like to make my own laker type exhaust . here is the question in making the tapered tube what ga metal I have 18 ga will this work . or the other choice is 2 shells that I have from a battle ship which are brass and about 28 in long and may need extensions of some fashion . or I can make the one on the floor pretty easy ? also plan on using retanglur tube out of headers

miraclepieco

Re: laker type exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:24:53 PM »
You can buy lakes header kits from Speedway ($150-200) but sounds like you want your own design. When I build exhaust I use 16 gauge - don't know if 18 would work or not. I knew a guy who made his own tapered tube by braking it every half-inch in a circle. You could see the brake marks, but it made them even cooler because you knew they were home made.  That square tube is pretty rat roddy.  I would jump at the possibility of using brass shells!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:26:44 PM by miraclepieco »

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
I made these from the Speedway kit that miraclepieco referred to; I got them when I bought my car and they were for a small block Chevy. I bought some small block Mopar flanges and just adapted the kit to my needs. You'll notice that I had to add a 6" cone so that I could use the 4" turnouts and baffles that I wanted (they come 3.5" from Speedway). I used 18 ga to make the cones and they were a bitch to get right but the use of a friends slip-roll helped immensely. The cones on the Speedway kit are about 22.5" long.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:02:02 PM by Rubberhead »

miraclepieco

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »
Those are nice!  Will you paint them or have them ceramic coated?

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:59:57 AM »
Thanks! A friend of mine found some high heat paint at Home Depot that's pretty durable and looks like a ceramic coating, I'll be using that; I don't know the name of it yet though...

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
Not sure on available colors, but home depot sells a paint for outdoor grills. That is the paint i recommend to those wanting to paint their headers. It's affordable and long lasting. If it can work for grill, should work great on exhaust.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »
I just talked to my friend about that paint and he said that after a while, it started to turn white but that he didn't use any high heat primer. Hmmm, I'm now thinking that ceramic coating might be in my future...

Tags: