AuthorTopic: New member from Vermont. Anyone else around here?  (Read 14938 times)

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: New member from Vermont. Anyone else around here?
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 05:28:50 PM »
look down the hole and see if the cam gear is turning. Maybe the chain is bad or the gear is stripped.Double check the gear on the distributor its usually held on by a roll pin make sure it's still good
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 06:03:05 PM »
The chain cover was removed and the chain is perfect. Distributor is new. I have not looked into the distributor hole to see what it looks like in there. I know parts are supposed to be a dime a dozen for these engines but does anyone know where my best shot at getting a new camshaft if that's the issue? I'm having trouble finding these "plentiful" parts.
I will take a look inside the dist. hole when I get a chance. The car is being stored outside for the winter and it's about 20-30 degrees here.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 04:31:13 AM »
If you can locate one, go with a hemi..........would have a wow factor for sure.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »
It would be nice to have the power, but at the same time I kind of want to keep this car original. If I can. I figure the flat six is the same amount of work, with more available parts. I plan on driving this car as much as possible and having the parts available is a huge plus to me.
I'm thinking I want to fix this engine enough to hear it run, then maybe pull it out and clean it up piece by piece and put it back together. I think I know some people locally who can point me in the right direction in finding someone in my area that knows old flatheads so I can get some hands on learning with the confidence of not making any big league mistakes. I'm pretty pumped, this car is so ratty. The previous owner gave me all the original literature, a replacement front fender, a complete gasket kit, and NOS wide white walls, along with every chrome piece I need to get the car back to 100%. (100% rat) The chrome looks like the surface of the moon.

miraclepieco

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 08:16:47 PM »
That thing would look so cool lowered! 

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 04:33:54 AM »
has a great patina, should be an awesome build........

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 03:49:11 PM »
Thanks guys!

I'm not sure if it will be lowered or not. I kind of like the idea of keeping it a time capsule and buying all the correct replacement parts I might need to fix the engine. But... we will see. Knowing me, if it does get lowered it'll be throwing sparks unintentionally. I really can't afford to dump a huge amount of money into this so if I can find a way to lower it safely without bagging it or buying all new suspension, then I probably will. I don't know much about cutting springs or compressing them with heat, or anything else... that's something I will have to reasearch more. I don't even know what kind of suspension is under this thing, I never even looked at the suspension. I have a bunch of literature in front of me so if work slows down at work, I am sure I will know more about it by the end of my shift!

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »
According to the paperwork I have...
Leafs in the rear.
Springs in the front.

Lowering should be a snap :)

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
Very sharp car Great find!As far as the motor I'd check the cam for sure If the chain cover is off i'd look really hard at the cam sounds almost like someone else was thinking like me. As far as a motor I found a 1966 318\727 combo off Craigslist for 200 bucks.I also found a motor home that a tree fell on for 800. Strip the motor tranny out and scrap the rest! The 302 donor was scrapped and I now have motor tranny (302\EOD) for 50.00 off craigslist also. I had to travel bout an hour 1 way(Good trip with the wifey) LOL
Boog out
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »
I'm in for a long summer if it is the camshaft. Looks like a good amount of work to get it torn apart and back together. Plus I would have to locate a new camshaft. My fingers are crossed that it's not a "broken part" issue. I'm praying that it's just something out of adjustment...
If anyone has any leads on a mopar guru I would appreciate it. Especially someone that is a genius with flatheads.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 08:59:11 PM »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2015, 04:34:11 AM »
Gonna be a wicked ride.........Love the stance

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 06:45:36 PM »
Stance will make her dance!
(Disclaimer: I have no idea what that phrase is supposed to mean)

If I get bored enough, the stance will improve in the spring. Looks like it's coils in the front and leaf springs in the rear, so it should'nt be too much work to lower it a bit. We will see.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
New member from Vermont. Anyone else around here?
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »
Well I found 4 parts cars in my local-ish scrapyard and ended up nabbing 2 autolite bullseye headlights and an upper chrome grill piece for $50! I know, I already had an upper grill piece, but the previous owner sanded it and painted it silver and it looked terrible, so this original rusty chrome piece is a major find for me! Also, I only had one original bullseye headlight, so having a full pair and one spare is a good feeling!

Installed upper grill:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 09:12:47 PM »
Here's the rig I found the headlights in:

What really irritates me is that I was in this junkyard last year looking for these headlights. I must've walked right by this jeep. Sometimes I forget that jeeps are mopars too! And this picture was taken Last year, which means not only did I walk right by These headlights, but I actually took a picture of them and had this pic stored in my phone for almost a year and never noticed I was looking right at them! I didn't even see them until I was walking the yard a couple weeks ago and said "you gotta be kidding me!" When I walked by.  I'm glad no one else nabbed them, since they are hard to find these days, especially in a state that is so hard on vehicles. I'm happy, to say the least.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »
I'd also like to raise the question: my fender is dented right in the headlight bucket area, crimping the metal. What should e best approach to straightening the metal to accept the chrome headlight trim without messing up the patina too much?

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »
Looking at the picture of the dent, you would be best to take the fender off and work that spot with a body hammer.....Just go slow and have some patience...You may get most of it out.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »
Thanks, yeah that was my first method of choice, but didn't know if the old timers had any tricks for stuff like this. I'd hate to mess up the metal and have an "obvious fix" but I guess it's either make the attempt or deal with the dent.

I'm pretty excited that I'm starting to acquire parts and knowledge. I know I won't get anything done on it this year but I am really looking forward to next year.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 03:15:12 PM »
Any tips for removing that ugly spray paint without ruining scrubbing? Has anyone tried that "graffiti remover"?

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2015, 09:00:19 AM »
Great car, and welcome to the world of "how does this work" on the fender dent, if you can't put a dolly or hammer behind it the fender needs to come off.  Spray paint can be removed with over cleaner, different degreasers, carb cleaner, and a scrubby pad, but watch out, real easy to remove too much and clean to well.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
I used a cleaner from dollar general I believe it's called Thats Amazing or something like that Worked well

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2015, 05:50:16 PM »
Thanks for the ideas! I will take a crack at it. Not sure if this will turn out to be one of those "shouldve left it alone" type ordeals..

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »
Photo Editing. I liked how this one came out, but I wish I took the tarp off the windshield.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2015, 04:47:47 AM »
I like it, especially with the tarp on the windshield. Gives it that extra look........

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2015, 04:48:40 PM »
I've never straightened anything shiny before.... How can I straighten that front bumper without scratching it up? I'm thinking bend it the best I can and use a dolly and hammer to refine it as much as possible, using maybe a rag between the dolly and metal? No idea what I'm doing.