AuthorTopic: Paint to look like rust??  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Paint to look like rust??
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »
The body for my rat is not of my making. Many panels are fabricated out of galvanized sheet metal and then covered with a light layer of plastic filler, (BONDO)!!  If I was that industrious, I'd strip it and leave the metal showing, but I'm not, and so I'd like to smooth it up a little and then paint it to look like bare metal with surface rust in places. Much of what I've done myself is in raw metal and I intend to clear a lot of that as well. There are parts of the car that will have some faded paint and I have a few spots the are rusted through in places where I'd like to leave it that way. A final coat of satin clear when it's all looking the way I want it is the goal!! I may even leave a little Bondo showing in a couple of spots.

Somebody has to have the answer to my situation. Paint combinations, products, processes, I'm looking for it all!!

A LITTLE HELP Y'ALL!!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Paint to look like rust??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 02:18:58 PM »
The resto rust is done with a brush also seen it done with an airbrush
 Eastwood makes a satin clear http://www.eastwood.com/paints/rat-rod-paints.html
I haven't used either Been wanting to clear the Boog Bug. Used the peroxide salt method on Josh's A
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:21:21 PM by lowboy »
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

miraclepieco

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »
I HATE fake patina, but I realize that sometimes it's necessary to blend non-rusty parts of a body to match rusty parts.
My '28 sedan body came in two halves - the front rusty, the back painted in light grey primer. That looked stupid together, so I painted the rear to match the front. This was done simply with Rustoleum Brown Primer rattle-can from Home Depot. Here are a couple of photos - I challenge anyone to tell the real rust from the painted rust:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:42:35 PM by miraclepieco »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:53:39 AM »
I can't tell. Looks like natural rust to me.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:09:26 AM »
Thanks, fellers!!  Some good ideas there. I found an iron based paint that uses an activator and actually rusts the paint!!  Real rust!!

I can use all of these techniques in one place or another!!! Y'all got lots of useful info that I can make work.   8)

miraclepieco

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 12:54:04 AM »
Ha ha, you mean REAL fake rust?   ::)  That's kinda like genuine synthetic pearls, ain't it?   ;D 
As I said, I don't mind a touch-up to blend patina, but fake rust is like a Milli Vanilli concert - no matter how great it is, everybody knows it's just phony. The only way to go in my opinion is what hotwheels does: leave your car outside in the snow for several years!

Here's some pics of that iron-based paint that uses an acid to rust it overnight. Manufactured by Modern Masters.
It dries too streaky and looks too orange. Maybe the guy didn't do it right.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:04:52 AM by miraclepieco »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 07:17:52 AM »
Actually, that would probably work in smaller doses!!  The all over look isn't what I'm after and some of that on the roof of ol' Lockjaw, where the guy that built it Bondo'd the whole thing, might could work!!  I guess I could try and strip and sand all of that off and then try to break down the galvanize, but that seems like a whole lot of work for not much return.

I ain't to that point yet. Just collecting ideas at this point. HELL!!! I'm gonna' drive it like it is for a while, 'cause it'll take money to do anything else and I've spent all I got on what's already there!!  8)

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
I got another question, (go figure)!!  The driver's side door has a pretty good, but badly faded Rat Fink painted on it.  I, or my daughter-in-law can trace it out and reverse it for the other door, but I'd like to freshen the original up without making it look too new.

Any tips or Ideas??  Paint is NOT one of my, (mostly limited) talents!!

Tags: