AuthorTopic: 1 ton rat rod build  (Read 2960 times)

Offline trucker677

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
1 ton rat rod build
« on: December 27, 2016, 03:43:12 PM »
Hi guys,  In the new year I will be building my first rat rod, I know my game plan that I want to run with but I am wondering if anyone has done what I want to do and if so what problems did you encounter,
Here s what I want
early 1940s chevy cab and front clip
mid 80s 1 ton chevy dually truck frame.
flat bed wooden and angle iron deck.
Sbc engine and standard tranny, probably a sm465.
everything is just going to be basic. normal spring suspension, not bagged or anything.

I am looking for info on how much did you lower the suspension, if any, did you take any rear leafs out. wheel spacers, yes or no. any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: 1 ton rat rod build
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »
sounds like you have a plan. Lowering the truck will depend on what you get. A lot of people use S-10 frames as they fit the cabs better. hollisc10 has done several He can answer the questions better.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline trucker677

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 07:01:11 AM »
I thought about the s10 frame but I don't think I can put a dually rear end in one, I want that beefy stance.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:13:01 PM »
You can hang a Dually rear end under an S10!!  You may have to move the spring perches and fabricate brake lines, but it'll go!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline trucker677

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »
Hmmm, that's got me thinking now, I wonder what would be the easier way to go, I know a lot of people prefer the s10 frame. I wonder how the stance would look comparing the front to the back. I only want a flat bed box for the rear so it is really only the cab and front clip I have to worry about. can I put the spindle off of a 2wd one ton on to the ball joints of a s10. I had a race truck I put spindles from a caprice on my s10 and it worked out great. I am going to go to the wreckers and do some measuring now.

Tags: