AuthorTopic: Rookie Mistake  (Read 3971 times)

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Rookie Mistake
« on: April 29, 2011, 06:19:26 PM »
Well today i made a rookie mistake on my front shock brackets. I have the truck jacked up and sitting on jack stands so i could do the wiring. So i figured i would tackle the shocks today and when i finished mounting the lower shock bolts for the bottom. I slid on the shock and found that it was 3 1/2 inches short from my mounting point for the top of the shock. I measured the 3 1/2 inches, cut out the square box i built, rewelded the shock tower and mounted my shocks.

I know you know what happened next, i have a suicide suspension. When i lowered the front of the truck down to the ground, my shocks don't have any travel. The top mounting point for the shock where the bolt goes through, now sits right on top of the shock body..

Now i have to start all over again on the front shock brackets. Fuck.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline ezrat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1928 Dodge 4 Dr
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Rookie Mistake
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one to do things like that. Frustrating but you learn from it. :o
"Just because it's primer, doesn't make it a rat"

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »
I will sit and relook at it tomorrow and see what i need to do to make it right again. Basically i just have to re add the 3 1/2 inches that i removed........

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »
Hotwheels, would not worry too much, these things happen. Notice you said nothing of a trip to the emergency room, explosion, fire, lot's of aid crews and fire trucks, ect.  :o  Your OK, .......it's only stuff. May find pictures of bigger problem when things quiet down, just to serve as a reminder of safety stuff, till thencall the shock mount thing experience.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
Alright, after a good night sleep, i went and relooked at the mess i created. I took the pieces that i cut out, ground em nice and perty, and rewelded them back into place. After all the welding was completed, i lowered the front of the truck like i should have in the first place and installed my shocks.........LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOks damn good. So hellz yea.........