AuthorTopic: keep the nailhead or go bigger??  (Read 3102 times)

Offline frankie.stein

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
keep the nailhead or go bigger??
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
Ok fellas. I bought a 57 dodge d200 dually. The previous owners dropped a Buick  nailhead motor in her.  She had been sitting for 20-30 years at least. My original plan was to pull the nailhead and drop a 460 in her.  But I discovered yesterday that the nailhead isn't in as bad a shape as I thought. Pulled the carb off and got all the dirt and trash and dirt dobbers nests out of the intake and hooked a battery to her and she turned right over. Of course with no carb  (that one is so far gone it's a paper weight) she wasn't gettin any gas. But I have no doubt that she will fire right up. (Oil still looks great, transmission fluid looks like I put it in last week) Either way I go about it she's gonna be my Frankenstein but I was just wanting some opinions.  Oh and I'm not sure what size the nailhead is, I had honestly never heard of them until I bought this truck.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: keep the nailhead or go bigger??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »
Heck, if the nailhead will run, i would go with it......Would give you a little extra cash to spend on other area's that may need a little attention or a kewl addition.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »
I'd change the oils and see if she will fire!!! Nailheads are pretty kool!!! My friend has one in his Angelica with 3 2 barrels
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 05:09:58 PM »
If the truck's gonna be a rod, or cruzer, I'd keep the nailhead.
If your gonna do heavy hauling, or pulling, or drive cross country, the 460 might make some sense.
460 is newer design, would make it easier to get parts anywhere and has torque. (8-10 MPG)
Nailhead can have good horsepower, and look cool.

miraclepieco

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:25:42 AM »
Dodge with a Buick - how cool can you get?

Tags: