AuthorTopic: 1930 essex frame swap  (Read 3080 times)

Offline jeffnovi306

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
1930 essex frame swap
« on: September 05, 2016, 02:27:35 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to doing my first complete build. I am well equipped, and have years of experience working on cars for a living. but, I am trying to put my 1930 2 door sedan (essex) body on a 65 riviera frame. I have the bare body and frame on a lift over the 65 riv frame on the floor. I have no idea what is first, and i'm afraid to jump in and screw it up. I do know I want to keep the front section of my 1930 frame and run the fenders and straight axle. The old riv frame is an X style. Do I first get the 1930 frame completely out of the way? Or is there a need to keep it on for anything? I just need a good kick start and then I feel I can run with it. Feel free to give any tips you have, you wont hurt my feelings.
thanks

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: 1930 essex frame swap
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 03:18:46 PM »
Welcome to the nation As far as where to start How is the wheel base and width compared to the essex? Not sure but the big car vs the old car it will probably be a little wide. I usually remove both bodies and kinda go from there. solve the little problems that pop up as I go. Most people use S-10's Others have more experience with them than me I used a ranger frame for my bug and a F-450 for my F-1050 build.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 09:01:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!

Lots of possibilities there.  Like lowboy says, your width and wheelbase will determine how well the Riviera chassis will adapt.  Grafting the front frame section and suspension to the Buick frame may be more work than it is worth.  If you find that the frame won't work, you can STILL use the drivetrain pieces to make one heck of a ride.

You also have some good pieces to barter and trade for what you CAN use!!

Good luck!!  Ask all the questions you need to!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline jeffnovi306

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the replies. I know it's been quite a while. But these projects find a way of being pushed onto the back burner. Anyhow, I am back on it now. I have decided to just use the rear end from the riv with leaf springs for the rear, the width looks right. So, I'll be keeping all of the essex frame. Once I figure ride height, I will get the correct drop axle for the front also running leafs. My next question is what do I need to attach my finned front riviera drum brakes to a tube style drop axle with king pins?

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »
Check with Speedway's technical department.  They will probably have the answer to your question and they're liable to have the parts or a kit to do it.

Honest Charley would be another source.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!