AuthorTopic: Loud and Clear  (Read 3079 times)

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
  • Referrals: 0
Loud and Clear
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:19:56 AM »

SEMA Action Network Posts Compilation of Exhaust Noise Laws By State

Now that most state legislatures have adjourned for the year and our Action Alerts requiring your attention have subsided, we invite you to continue visiting the SEMA Action Network’s (SAN) website at semaSAN.com to take advantage of the additional features available to you.  Using the website, you can learn how to title and register hobby cars in each state, meet emissions standards, and fight unfair inoperable vehicle storage rules at the local level.

The SAN has now added to its resource arsenal a compilation of exhaust noise laws by state.  This new tool includes a map to illustrate the states that have adopted measureable exhaust noise limits, the states that prohibit “excessive or unusual noise,” and the states that ban all modifications that lead to noise increases above the levels created by the factory-installed exhaust system.  Below the map is a detailed list of exhaust noise statutes organized alphabetically by state.  Here is a link to this new resource: semaSAN.com/Noise

The SAN opposes vague laws prohibiting "excessive of unusual noise," which allow law enforcement officers to cite any exhaust system deemed "too loud."  These provisions fail to provide a clear and objective standard for those seeking more durable exhaust systems that enhance a vehicle’s appearance and increase performance by making vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.  Three states, including California, have enacted SEMA model legislation to provide enthusiasts and law enforcement officials with a fair and enforceable alternative.  The model legislation establishes a 95-decibel exhaust noise limit based on an objective test standard.  The SEMA model bill for exhaust noise can be found on the SAN website by selecting the “Model Bills” option from the “Legislation” drop down menu at the top of the website.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

miraclepieco

Re: Loud and Clear
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 02:35:14 AM »
Start with Harleys.

Offline NitroMidgets

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:23:50 AM »
I got a ticket for that once in a car that wasn't even violating the law. The funny part is that as he was trying to explain the ticket he had to pause until after a Harley went by because he couldn't even hear himself. Asshole!
Had to go to the state police barracks to get it actually tested since the guy who wrote the ticket didn't even have a way to measure it but just somehow he "knew" I was in violation. Out of the entire Maryland barracks at that location, only one person was trained on how to even test for it. I waited 45min to have him test it and void my ticket.
Those types of laws are ripe for abuse, misuse and ignorance.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:57:33 AM by NitroMidgets »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
Well here we go, another attempt for big brother trying to squash out our hobbies. Haven't they ever heard that loud pipes save lives?
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline bigj

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
One of my drivers got a noise ticket while a freight train passed by them.