AuthorTopic: What's better to do first?  (Read 5545 times)

Offline duckinout

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
What's better to do first?
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:32:40 AM »
I recently just picked up my new/first solo project and I wanted to know is it better to have the suspension done before channeling the body? I know I would like to Z the back half. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the front end yet? Here's a picture of the truck and a picture. Of the current front suspension.

miraclepieco

Re: What's better to do first?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »
The two (channel and Z) must work in conjunction - one is dependent on the other.  As you do one, you may have to adjust the other, so be sure to only tack things together until you can see how it all fits.

Offline duckinout

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:21:40 PM »
The two (channel and Z) must work in conjunction - one is dependent on the other.  As you do one, you may have to adjust the other, so be sure to only tack things together until you can see how it all fits.

What are some good baseline number to start are far how much Z/Channel?

miraclepieco

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 01:35:48 AM »
It's common to channel the body to the bottom of the frame.  If the frame is 2x4, that's a 4-inch channel.

As for the Z, most guys do 11-12 inches; my current car is 18 1/2 inches, but it's stupid low and undriveable. Just make sure the frame hits the top of the axle (or bump stop) before it hits the ground.

Here's a photo of a pickup build I did showing the process of setting up the height over the rear axle. I think the kick was about 13 inches. Note the body is already channeled.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:49:24 AM by miraclepieco »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:50:26 AM »
I think miraclepieco pretty much covered the channeling question, but I would just throw this out there on that front end, I would keep it. That looks freakin cool.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline duckinout

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:39 AM »
Thanks for the help guys! the baseline numbers will give me something to start looking at! im hoping to be able to use most of the original frame as its in really good condition. so if anybody has any pictures of vehicals that they have Z'ed still useing most of the original frame that would be awesome! As for the front suspension the only reason i wanted to change it was to lower the front end a bit but im sure i can still do that with whats there! again thanks for the help y'all!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »
One thing to always think about when doing a build, is drivability. Allot of the rat rods you see that are slammed, can't be driven all the time do to being so low to the ground. All the builds that I do, I try to keep them at a decent height for everyday driving. If you just plan on driving it on car show days, or certain days, go as low as you can. If you want to drive it around though, keep some ride height........

Offline duckinout

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »
One thing to always think about when doing a build, is drivability. Allot of the rat rods you see that are slammed, can't be driven all the time do to being so low to the ground. All the builds that I do, I try to keep them at a decent height for everyday driving. If you just plan on driving it on car show days, or certain days, go as low as you can. If you want to drive it around though, keep some ride height........

I plan to drive it as much as i can wich in montana is about 3 to 4 months. so the front suspension may just stay put! tahnks for the insight Hotwheels!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
no problem my friend.

Tags: