AuthorTopic: New Project questions  (Read 2919 times)

Offline BraverunningT

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
New Project questions
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:22:10 PM »
Hey, I am wondering how difficult it is to keep a rat rod as a daily driver. I know that I would probably have to put a muffler on for daily use, unfortunatly. I also am wondering why alot of rat rods are noy used for things like daily driving. I am very new to this, so I still dont know a ton about rat roding.

Thanks,
Tyler

miraclepieco

Re: New Project questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:26:09 AM »
I know several rat rod owners who use them as daily drivers - including some guys on this forum.

Many rat rods however (mine for example) aren't at all practical for regular use: radical engines, loud pipes, no fenders, no windows, no heater, rough ride, cramped cab, rare or exotic components, etc etc.

Other factors against using them as a DD's are licensing and insurance. Some classic car insurance policies limit the number of miles you can drive annually, and many states restrict the use of cars licensed as "antique" or "street rod" to parades, shows, rod runs, etc - not for commuting or transportation.

I'd love to have a rat rod DD!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:24:35 AM »
I would be driving mine right now as a daily driver but i need to put my new engine in er. Allot of the rides that are built, usually aren't built with the daily driving in mind. The car's are built really low to the ground, open headers, seats that sit right on the floor, etc. I personally try to build rides that can be used as a daily driver because i think they should be driven, but allot of people prefer to go after a certain look (which is kewl), but they can't handle the bumps and dips of the roads.

When you go to make your build, keep in mind as you are building, what you want the ride to do and for....If you want to go as a daily driver, you won't be able to build the car 3" off the ground, you have to give er a bit more clearance. You may wanna look at a comfortable front suspension and steering, such as a mustang II front end. You can also build a set of headers, like lakesters, that you can still run a full exhaust, then on special occasions, you can pull off the caps and run open headers......
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline BraverunningT

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I am really trying to convince my dad to let me build a rod in the garage, not that I would ask him to pay for any of it, and he doesnt see how it could be practical. Driving a rod to school every day just to me sounds fun, granted I would have to do it right in order to be able to achieve my goal, but this info has helped me see more how I could do it. Thanks!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:20:59 AM »
I think it could be practical if it's built right. Allot of rides can be used as a daily driver as long as the time is taken to install the electrical correctly and keep the frame up off of the ground.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline hollisc10

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 09:33:47 AM »
I've been driving mine daily for a while but some wouldnt call it a true rat rod more of a traditional hot rod. I built it with the intention to drive it a lot tho. I've still not got heat but not cold enough for it yet. What ever u decide have a plan and it will go easier for yah and enjoy it!