AuthorTopic: Installing a car trailer electric winch  (Read 3661 times)

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Installing a car trailer electric winch
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »
Got a question about a winch i am installing on my car trailer. I trying to set up the winch so it can be removed from the trailer and i want to use a battery on the trailer to power the winch. Looking and reading a few articles it appears i can use either a deep cycle marine battery or maybe a garden tractor battery. My question is about charging the battery, i have a 7 pin plug on the back of the truck and from the trailer, it has 1 hot wire that doesn't go to anything, it's just a spare i guess. Could i use that wire and run like a 10 gauge wire from the plug to the battery and use it to charge the battery? I'm not sure if a hot wire just being hot will actually charge the battery or not. Can't really find anyone that has done this, so i am hoping that someone here may have used a battery on the trailer before.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Cornfield Customs

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Installing a car trailer electric winch
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:23:03 PM »
on mine i used the hot wire to power the winch to eliminate the need for a battery, then i used a push connector to attach the wiring.
Cornfield Customs Ltd.
1591 state route 28
loveland Oh 45140

Cornfield-Customs.com
(513) 545-2910

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
  • Referrals: 0
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 05:03:31 PM »
the hot wire will charge the battery as long as the battery has a common ground with the vehicle . It will see the same voltage as the truck battery so it will charge as the alternator works .
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline mdracers

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »
But that will also drain the battery of the truck.  Probly the best way would be to use a isolator like they do in motor homes so you don't drain your starting battery.  I also wonder if you could put a diode in the wire from the truck. They only let power go one way.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 06:40:07 PM »
I ended up just buying a deep cycle battery and just insure that it stays charged. I have used it several times now and it works perfectly. After i get the cars off of it, i slap the charger on it and let it recharge.....thanks for the ideas though.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Tags: