AuthorTopic: HOTWIRING  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
HOTWIRING
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:10:11 AM »
The key switch on my 83 f100 broke and i would like to just "hot wire" a couple of switches. I don't know if it should be done at steering collium or at ignition box. The collium has about 8 or 9 wires, all varied colors. Anybody got any ideas?
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: HOTWIRING
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »
Why not just buy a new key and switch? They are easy to change and should be trouble free after that.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »
I let two gentlemen drill out the old key in an attempt to do that.  Now they say the collum is trash and want to replace that......I'm recently retired and just trying to figure out the cheapest way to go.....couple that with not being a mechanic....cant just go to junk yard or parts store, cause they dont like them rubber checks.......hehe

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:35:13 PM »
You need to find someone who is actually familiar with that column.  Like hot wheels said, these are easy to replace and inexpensive as well. You'll also have less problems with the rest of the electrical system.

Most likely, unless they used a 3/4" drill, a competent technician can straighten it out for you.  Just unplug all of the plugs that attach the harness and unbolt the column. Don't forget the shifter linkage or cable!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 09:36:24 AM »
This truck was a 3 speed on the column which i dont who, if anybody, makes parts. It was long ago changed to a floor shift.  It didnt have cruise control or tilt, so how do I figure out what will subsitute?? Are the electric plugs all the same???  Any ya'll got one, reasonable?  please help

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
Find a tilt column from a truck the same year or production run as your truck.  The plugs may or may not be the same, but the wiring diagrams and color codes cane found on the internet to use in any conversion.  They are often a pain to find, but I've always been able to get the info I needed.

This can take patience and the use of logic and all of the info you can obtain.  If you don't feel comfortable with your skills, find someone who can help or someone who does it for a living!!

It is helpful to remember that you may not always get what you pay for, but you NEVER get what you don't pay for unless you steal it or someone gives it to you.

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
Blackwater, that is sage and good advice. I enjoy your comments and love your work, especially "project ugly", BUT it seems to me that a couple of $5-10 switches is better than a $65 column(cheapest and closest at 96miles I can find on interweb) is just the solution......My experience with the internet is that one can buy any info with a credit card (which i aint got).......That is why I joined here cause it was free info..........Also, dont new fancy cars have push button start??  I'm not going to drive this old truck everyday to work (bad ticker) or cross country.... Please dont ban me cause I got bigger probs and need both my truck for some very limited use around this small town and like to talk with ya'll..........Thanx 

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 07:19:04 AM »
Saw this in a 40 international on ebay yesterday.......fancier than i need/want........but this the concept

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
Sorry to take so long to reply.  I left last Monday on an adventure in Lockjaw.  Your switch idea IS valid. I just don't see going to all of that trouble to pull wire and fab up a panel when a COMPETENT repair technician can fix it properly for not much more money and you can keep the original wiring. 

I worked in the industry for years and I never got more than an hour and a half for replacing a column switch.

Your truck, your choice!!

Tags: