AuthorTopic: What is a bonded title?  (Read 7583 times)

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
What is a bonded title?
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:49:11 PM »
I recently bought a Model A from a salvage yard up north with no title but about 70% restored to original. it still has a 1930 motor with clear numbers but I am currently looking for a frame number to confirm that it is the original motor or not...(so far I haven't found a frame number) its supposed to be under the floor boards somewhere around the emergency brake lever but I haven't found it yet without lifting the body.  I am currently trying to get a clear title on it as an original ford model A before I finish it or do any mods to it. I have the auto theft unit researching it right now to get a 68A form from them that I will then have to take to the DMV for a new title. I was told that they would probably give me what they call a bonded title... what exactly is this? my whole point of trying to get a clear title now is to have a clear original title for the car. if I wait til the end I would have to get a builders title which I understand to be a whole different monster. so the more I look into things the more questions I am coming up with. Am I better off waiting til the end result and getting a build title or are there some pros and cons of a bonded title that I should be aware of? I was hoping for a clear original model A title but if I do this now and then modify the car from original is it gonna require I do a builders title later?
If at 1st you dont succeed... destry all evidence that you tried

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: What is a bonded title?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »
What state you from? Theres a title service that can get you a title As far as whats the difference IDK
Ive got a friend in Iowa thats got your name
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »
I am in texas... I am just curious as to what the bonded title means and how that type of title is looked at.... I mean, would you want to buy a car with a salvage title? and how is the bonded title looked at? if I saw it at a sale I wouldn't know what it was. 

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »
Found this service http://www.broadwaytitle.com/
Got any friends in Mississippi they can also do this and a lot cheaper
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 04:24:33 AM »
I recently bought a Model A from a salvage yard up north with no title but about 70% restored to original. it still has a 1930 motor with clear numbers but I am currently looking for a frame number to confirm that it is the original motor or not...(so far I haven't found a frame number) its supposed to be under the floor boards somewhere around the emergency brake lever but I haven't found it yet without lifting the body.  I am currently trying to get a clear title on it as an original ford model A before I finish it or do any mods to it. I have the auto theft unit researching it right now to get a 68A form from them that I will then have to take to the DMV for a new title. I was told that they would probably give me what they call a bonded title... what exactly is this? my whole point of trying to get a clear title now is to have a clear original title for the car. if I wait til the end I would have to get a builders title which I understand to be a whole different monster. so the more I look into things the more questions I am coming up with. Am I better off waiting til the end result and getting a build title or are there some pros and cons of a bonded title that I should be aware of? I was hoping for a clear original model A title but if I do this now and then modify the car from original is it gonna require I do a builders title later?
I'm also in Texas and a friend of mine just got a bonded title for a car that I sold him years ago. A bonded title is a title that gives you legal possession of the car but allows for someone else who claims to have proof of ownership to prove that and claim ownership of the car. If there are no claims after three years, then the car is yours free and clear - at least that's how I understand it...

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:06:17 AM »
I got this car from another state in an almost finished state.... the car was originally started by someone who restores them.... so as a model A restorer.... is the engine original to the car or is it a running engine that works.... there is too much there to wonder if  someone can claim the car because of a motor that doesn't match the car.... or someone who can claim it 3 yrs later on a car that sat in a field  and was rebuilt ..... this is my issue.... how many people can claim this salvaged car after I just spent almost $6k from a junk yard as salvage

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 05:07:28 AM »
I am almost thinking I should keep hiding it in a storage shed and pull the body.... each time I research I am finding more ways I could be screwed

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »
Technically a bonded title protects you from any previous owners. Here in wyoming if you find a vehicle that doesn't have a title, you have to do a title search, vin inspection, $2,500.00 you have to buy a surety bond at x2 of the appraised value. What this does, is if the previous owner who couldn't be found comes out of the closet and claims the vehicle you just spent years building is his, your surety bond will just pay him the appraised value of the car/truck and you then get to keep it by law. It protects you from loosing your investment and any asshole that see's what you have built and decides they want it back now.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »
Hotwheels could very well be right, what I posted is how it was explained to me but I've never researched it; I would think that you could pretty easily find the info through the DMV website. I have a 1930 Model A and it's my understanding that the VIN numbers back then were actually the engine serial numbers. I know that there's not a single number that I can find on the body but I didn't look at the frame too closely before I shitcanned it. When I registered my car, I told the local DMV that it didn't have an engine in it and that I was replacing it with another engine and they wanted the serial number. The new VIN on my Model A is now the serial number from a Dodge 1979 360. Look here for one titling option:

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?32372-Model-A-and-Early-Ford-titles-250

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »
thanks rubber... but I see a whole new scam here too....lol
I could end up giving this guy my car
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:42:55 PM by HDrider281 »

Offline mdracers

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »
I have a bonded title on my 31' chevy. Only cost me about $300 for the bond and title and plates. And I think Ford VIN# are good back into the 1920's. If I remember right in like 1948 the industrie adopted how Ford indentified there cars. So there #'s are the only ones that go back that far.

Tags: