AuthorTopic: New old guy from WV  (Read 5940 times)

Offline addes426

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • my old 64
  • Referrals: 0
New old guy from WV
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:40:49 AM »
Hi folks. I'm in WV, right along the Ohio River, between Parkersburg and Wheeling. I've been into hot rods since I was a kid and most recently into muscle cars but these rat rods have always caught my eye. So, I figured it was time to learn. I have a 64 Dodge 2 dr that I may end up ratting as a driver, if I don't sell it. I'd prefer to sell it and get an old Mopar truck. Time will tell. I'll ask plenty of dumb questions, but only once, I learn quick. Thanks in advance to all concerned.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:47:33 AM by addes426 »

Offline dcacjc

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: New old guy from WV
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »
Welcome to the NATION!!

Ask all the questions you want as the are a bunch of guys here with a vast knowledge and they are not afraid to share it!!!
David

Offline bigj

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:28:31 AM »
Welcome to the nation.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 07:54:41 AM »
welcome to the nation from S. Illinois
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
Welcome, glad ya joined us.
Nice Dodge, getting hard to find a 64 that's not a rust bucket.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »
Welcome to the Nation. I agree with you on selling the Dodge for some type of Rat project. The Dodge would look better as a gasser or sled. My 2cents.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline Rust T Nuts

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
New old guy from WV
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »
Hello neighbor.  We are on the river close to WV as well but it's the Potomac

Offline Chromeazone

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »
Welcome to The R.R.Nation! Since having owned many MOPARS through the years, I think your '64 is a great car, and it can be anything you want it to be. This term Rat Rod almost makes my head explode because it seems to cause so many arguments over a definition. There are So.Cal clubs that are offended by the term, because they have the really "traditional" rods! Can you imagine there was a time when the term didn't even exist?  There were just Hot Rods! Even a sled was a Hot Rod. Then in the late sixties when the check book rodders could go down to the dealers and BUY a hot rod out of the box, all the "old cars" were pushed in the back until "muscle cars" were legislated out. Then "street rods" appeared from all the old cars that had been pushed in the back. Then there were "Pro Street" , "Pro Touring", and every other category and name you could imagine!
I think Rat Rod is a term we have to live with for now, especially on this site. I am O.K. with it because it defines my '51 Ford. It will never make into a RichGuys show or LARS, but if it gets me into VIVA LV, I'm good with that.
I don't think you should deliberately make you '64 "into" a rat rod, it probably all ready IS, by today's definitions.
Lower it, shave the hood, get some nice pipes, and presto, you're in the club!
Then enjoy it!
Happy New Year, Yawl! :P
"Do you think I can drive it home?"

Offline addes426

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • my old 64
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »
Thanks everybody. I feel welcome. I've listed my 64 and I'm getting a lot of interest. Might be such a thing as I'll be a rat rodder soon.  ;D

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 04:46:27 AM »
Welcome to the nation addes426, it's great to meet ya. I think i would sell that ride and build another. From that pic, that appears to be in fairly good shape.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline addes426

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • my old 64
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 05:21:09 AM »
Welcome to the nation addes426, it's great to meet ya. I think i would sell that ride and build another. From that pic, that appears to be in fairly good shape.

It's a southern car (with southern rust) and not beat up too much. I collected parts for it for 12 yrs. but never had time to start it. I have a ton of new, good used, and reconditioned parts. All in, both cars and parts, there's around $10000 worth of stuff.  :o I should build the car, $500 would have it drivable. I've just lost interest in it. It will make somebody a great deal.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 07:53:13 AM »
At one point or another we all lose some interest in our toy. Then it goes on the market and we hope to get what we dream of getting. Then in comes its replacement. And that is what keeps things fresh.
Outside of craigslist what national outlets have you tried ?

Offline addes426

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • my old 64
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
At one point or another we all lose some interest in our toy. Then it goes on the market and we hope to get what we dream of getting. Then in comes its replacement. And that is what keeps things fresh.
Outside of craigslist what national outlets have you tried ?

It's on Moparts, several other Mopar specific sites too.  I've had several people looking at it, who know the early Bs, tell me it's well worth my asking price. Problem is it's a small market and no money. Lots of trade offers, some very good offers, but, I have something I don't want. Why trade for something else I don't want, just to trade? My buyer will come along, I just have to wait for him.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »
How well I know the market. Off and on fore the past several years I have tried to sell mine. But we both are in a small market group. So I just keep doing little things to mine. Like I am going to be doing some paint or re-paint on the drivers side qtr, pull the hood and media blast and repaint, do scallops down the side and a few other items that will help set it apart. And I find myself picky as to where it will go. Too much emotion tied into her.  And this time of year is a bear what with Christmas just this past week, people paying on there plastic. Here in Kansas property tax's. But on the bright side the car show cruising season will be here before too long.

Offline addes426

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • my old 64
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
How well I know the market. Off and on fore the past several years I have tried to sell mine. But we both are in a small market group. So I just keep doing little things to mine. Like I am going to be doing some paint or re-paint on the drivers side qtr, pull the hood and media blast and repaint, do scallops down the side and a few other items that will help set it apart. And I find myself picky as to where it will go. Too much emotion tied into her.  And this time of year is a bear what with Christmas just this past week, people paying on there plastic. Here in Kansas property tax's. But on the bright side the car show cruising season will be here before too long.

$500 would have my 64 driving. It would be easier to sell as a driver. It's no big if I don't sell it. I'll spend $500, then I'll drive it, then I'll sell it.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »
Might as well enjoy it.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:13 AM »
I'ld be driving it......
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Dogfather

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
Might as well enjoy it.

That's the way I was with My Wagon. had it on Craigslist for a whole year. I have sold other stuff on CL like 1978 Chevy Luv parts and if you just are patient the right person will be looking one day. Then when I just got tired of re posting it I worked on it a bit and drove it and got so many thumbs up from driving my junky looking wagon it renewed a new love for the unusual.

Like my 65 Fairlane (the year no one wants) How may 64's you see on the road today ? My Friends here told me the same thing Drive it get some enjoyment out of it, while it's on CL

Just My
Edward

Offline GCMopar

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
Is that a Polara? You can't beat the look of '60's Mopars. They were soo tough looking.

Tags: Mopar