AuthorTopic: Ford AOD  (Read 8202 times)

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Ford AOD
« on: July 23, 2015, 07:34:26 PM »
This (expletive deleted) transmission Reverse only works if i jack the rear end up and let it go into reverse I can then shut it off let the jack down and restart it back up 1-5 times then same stuff. Had a vibration so bad I thought I'd shelled the rearend but then it was fine It's getting the exhaust on it tomarrow then the _______ transmission. I'm gonna stop by the tranny shop and see if I can pick his brain. Depends on his mood either he'll be cool and help or ... any and all suggestions are welcome
Boog Out
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: Ford AOD
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:01:44 AM »
Do you have a TV cable installed? May be to late, but the tv cable is needed to help shift the aod.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:11:19 AM »
I don't have it currently hooked up. The Tranny guy seems to think I either didn't get the reverse band hooked up properly or the clip has popped out of the reverse servo So I dropped the pan to drain the fluid last nite Today I'm gonna drop the valve body and see about the snapring Think next time I'm gonna leave it to the pro's (not)
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 05:48:43 PM »
Took the 1st/reverse servo out but didn't see anything wrong. So I put it back together after cleaning everything up. Refilled with what fluid I had but it wasn't enough so After the show tomarrow it's off to the O'Reilys to get a gallon or so

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 04:45:02 AM »
Hope you are able to get it running. So you haven't had to run the tv cable?

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 06:43:10 AM »
No I Just let it shift as if I was at idle. TV cable is the kick down cable? Gonna do it today as Friday I got the exhaust done finally

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:31:25 AM »
Out it comes  >:( Didn't fix it AAAGH :'( :-[

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:49:16 AM »
Unless you have a constant pressure aftermarket valve body, letting it shift without the TV rod or cable in place will destroy the AOD in just a few miles!

The AOD is much different than the C4 and the C6 in that the AOD doesn't rely on vacuum or use a kickdown lever for downshifts. It uses a throttle valve ("TV") rod or cable to control transmission line pressure, kickdowns, and all shift functions and characteristics. This is a direct link between the throttle and the transmission and it MUST BE SET UP CORRECTLY or the AOD will not last!

The TV rod directly controls the line pressure in the AOD. If the line pressure is not set correctly or if the TV rod is not connected to the carburetor correctly, it will burn up the transmission.

And if the geometry between the TV rod or TV cable is not exactly proportionate to the movement of the throttle, the TV rod or cable will get pulled out of adjustment. And when that happens, the line pressure is off again. This condition will burn up the transmission.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 05:00:30 AM »
Gonna order an after market one shortly.Got the tranny on the ground last nite. I read a lot about it yesterday.Thanks for the heads up Hotwheels. Very good info

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 07:32:55 PM »
Your welcome, just trying to save you allot of headaches. Lokar sells the best and easiest set up. Concidering it's about 70 bucks, and it will save your tranny, it's worth the investment.

Tags: