AuthorTopic: Jeep cj5 build  (Read 10482 times)

Offline Midnightmoonlight

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Jeep cj5 build
« on: March 13, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »
[attachimg=12]Here is my project getting close to the end.....it's an old cj5 placed on my own frame with corvette suspension front and rear, coil overs, full role cage, alcohol 500hp sbc, powerglide trans, fuel cell, race seats, the tub is channeled 6", windshield chopped by 6", and a cj 7 top chopped 6" and made to fit the cj5

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:23:01 PM by Midnightmoonlight »

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Jeep cj5 build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 12:01:23 PM »
Some more pictures. This has been a pretty fast build just started putting it together in August 2015 although I had been gathering parts for about 2 years.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:39:39 PM by Midnightmoonlight »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »
Welcome from Tennessee!!

I'm finishing up an A Model/24Dodge coupe. 

Jeff73Mach1 and I are about to embark on a similar project.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 05:19:39 AM »
very nice looking job . will be really cool when done

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:12:49 AM »
Very nice work. Stance is awesome.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »
Thank You. im working on brakes, steering,throttle pedal, and fuel lines. Once thats done I can get the nose back on and get on with wiring.

Offline SkinnyPedal

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:31:31 PM »
I really dig this build. I like the chop and the stance. Its lookin GREAT,
I have a 46 willies flat fender to do some day so I Will be watching.  keep the pics coming.
The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. That's why I appear bright...until I speak!

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:36:41 AM »
Got the beast running now. Finished up the wiring, brakes, engine plumbing, steering, lights, and found some nice vette rims 295's. I just need to fine tune my shifter setup and it will be test drive time.
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]
[attachimg=7]
[attachimg=1]

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »
Congrats....looks awesome.

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »
went for a little ride today. everything is working good just need to step back a little and double check everything.

Trying to decide if I want to put the hood and fenders back on or just leave it naked up front
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

Offline IlikeImpala's

• Builder of Crap! :-)
  • Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »
When I see these pictures, it makes me think of a Shelby Cobra. I wanna pop the hood and drool over a giant big block with stoopid power!   :o  :P  :o

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 08:45:53 AM »
I think I would leave it like that. I wouldn't cover er up at all, cause that would hide the craftsmanship.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 05:47:02 PM »
I also say leave the hood off as I like the look of it now
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »
With hood[attachimg=1]

Offline IlikeImpala's

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 08:02:37 PM »
In my 40+ years, this is my favorite Jeep that I have ever seen.  It SO screams Shelby!  Now if it was all wheel drive with EFI and a 6spd....

miraclepieco

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 02:09:29 AM »
It looks fast and fun!   :o

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 04:32:59 AM »
Its funny you say that. my original plan was to use the all wheel drive from the newer Tahoe but time, and money prohibited it at this stage. It may someday become all wheel drive but from what I have read, is the added weight doesn't increase the race ability of the car. This will be raced in scca autox and driven on the street. I went with a powerglide so to set it up so there is no shifting while on an autox course. Plus Im lazy and don't care to shift anymore at my age. The way it is now I don't have to shift until 80mph 2 speeds fast and faster

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 04:27:07 PM »
It actually looks good with the hood. Nice job.

Offline IlikeImpala's

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 01:42:15 AM »
Its funny you say that. my original plan was to use the all wheel drive from the newer Tahoe but time, and money prohibited it at this stage. It may someday become all wheel drive but from what I have read, is the added weight doesn't increase the race ability of the car. This will be raced in scca autox and driven on the street. I went with a powerglide so to set it up so there is no shifting while on an autox course. Plus Im lazy and don't care to shift anymore at my age. The way it is now I don't have to shift until 80mph 2 speeds fast and faster

I raced E-Street Prepared (ESP) for 5 years, then moved on to E-Prepared (EP) in my 77 Camaro. I completely love the idea of road racing a Jeep! I just wish I could see the look on the import guys faces, cause you know they are going to be all ~ No waaaaaaay!  -lol

I ran a 350, 4sd Muncie with 26.1"x10" BFG R1 tires, and a 3.08 posi. The only track that I had to shift out of first was when they made the drag strip and parking lot at Gateway International Raceway in IL into an autocross track for the day. They had us start in the parking lot, then loop around down 1/8th mile of the drag strip, then 180 down the other lane heading back to the parking lot. Beyond that I never got out of first gear.

Actually the more I think about this the more I like it. You are basically driving a square balanced chassis with wide tires and pretty low weight and CG. This truck should handle good from a physics standpoint. My comments on the all wheel drive were based on the assumption of it being street driven. That would make for a fun stop light basher. But autocross you would want regular rear wheel for better handling and weight reduction. Please take a friend with you so you can share some pictures with us of it carving at speed. I'll have to scan some of my old racing pic's to share as well.

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »
I ran a 240z in FP awhile back now boy time flies. I took this z gutted and set it up for street and autox. Full cage coil overs 1900+lbs. I won novice class the first year but just could catch an mg in fp. I got close a few times and surprised him. I was lacking the money to build the motor and do all the big$$ items. after that I said I would never race outside of a stock class because it cost $$$ to be competitive and here we go again. I ran the z in a bunch of other clubs other then scca and the best time I had was when the viper club had an autox day. My 1972 240 z was faster then every car but one. He was a top scca guy and could drive. I took 2nd place at that one.[attachimg=1]

The jeep Im building will be EM Im going to just have fun to start but as time and money allows I should be able to be competietive. Right now its set up as multi use drag, street, and autox. Not perfect for any single one but should be alot of fun. I got it inspected yesterday and ran it around a little fine tuning a few things not dialed in yet but it pulls along and corners nice. I will get it on scales this week but right now Im at 1600lbs unsprung going by spring compression estimates hoping to be at 1800lbs some day

Tags: