AuthorTopic: Building a '30 model A Sedan  (Read 7696 times)

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Building a '30 model A Sedan
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »
Hello all, my name is Scott and I'm building a Model A Tudor sedan here in Del Rio Texas (I'm right on the Texas/Mexico border). My build is a bit different as I'm doing a MOPAR theme; I've always been partial to MOPARs, so that's where I'm going with this. I'm to the point where I'm building my frame as well as stiffening the body using ideas from you guys here (you guys are friggin phenomenal with your fabrication skills BTW...) and just kind of winging it in other respects. I'm considering starting a build thread, but I don't know how often I'll be able to update it due to the fact that it takes a lot for me to get off of my lazy ass to do shit (although nobody ever admits this, I'm sure that I'm not alone)...

The car was pretty cut-up when I got it, but I straightened out the 5.5" chop and extended the firewall a couple inches using piece that I cut from the gas tank - it had the right compound curves. the engine is a 360 out of a "Little Red Express" truck which (believe it or not) was the most powerful production vehicle of the year in 1978 produced n the US (I didn't believe it either, but it's true). Anyway, here are a couple pictures of what I'm working with and I'd certainly appreciate any input that you guys might have.

Offline Rust T Nuts

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:29:23 PM »
Looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Dustin Arnett

• Desert Rat
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:45:56 AM »
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing

~Dustin

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Building a '30 model A Sedan
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:51:23 AM »
Welcome Scott, any questions, ask away.
If we can't answer your question we will make up sumth'n so good sounding that you'll hang around for a long time, just to see if it's ever been done before, which of course it hasn't.
Been to Del Rio before, same trip I went to Langtree.

Offline NitroMidgets

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:41:39 AM »
Welcome neighbor!
I'm just up the road in San Antonio.

I'm still working on my 29 Tudor.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 04:46:41 AM »
hello and welcome to the nation looks like you've got a good start 8)
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 06:28:25 AM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Nitro, I'm actually from San Antonio area, I was born at Lackland AFB and I grew up in Helotes! What part of SA do you hail from?

Obama, I've been here for 23 years and I've never made it to Langtree; I'm way too much of a homebody...

I could use some help primarily in one area; keeping with the Mopar theme, I'd like to run torsion bars for the front suspension and I've seen a few cars that have them but I can't seem to find the info needed to get the right stuff and to adapt it to my needs. I've been looking at sprint car stuff but I'm not sure what I would need for my project. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 06:52:52 AM »
You have a couple choices if you wanna stay with a dodge them, 1) buy an old dodge car that has the parts you would need on it and go from there. 2) you can go to speedwaymotors.com http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sprint-and-Midget.html and buy the parts from them. Speedway is an awesome company to deal with, i buy parts from them all the time.

Anyways, nice to meet you scott and welcome to the nation.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline NitroMidgets

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 07:10:04 AM »
Oh I'm not from Texas. I was born and raised in CA. I left there decades ago.

We moved down here a couple years back to be closer to family. I live out in Cibolo though it is the extreme end of the area that is closer to being New Braunfels then Cibolo.

There's a big auto swap meet in New Braunfels if you are up this way.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 07:44:54 AM »
You have a couple choices if you wanna stay with a dodge them, 1) buy an old dodge car that has the parts you would need on it and go from there. 2) you can go to speedwaymotors.com http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sprint-and-Midget.html and buy the parts from them. Speedway is an awesome company to deal with, i buy parts from them all the time.

Anyways, nice to meet you scott and welcome to the nation.

Yeah, I'm pretty settled on buying the stuff from Speedway, believe me, I've been looking. My problem is WHAT to buy as there are so many options regarding bars and arms. My other dilemma is that I can't seem to find any mounting hardware or examples of how they are mounted on sprint cars; maybe I'm just not looking in the right place... I don't want to use any factory stuff from an old Mopar as it's just too long, bulky and stiff for my application.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 07:49:18 AM »
Oh I'm not from Texas. I was born and raised in CA. I left there decades ago.

We moved down here a couple years back to be closer to family. I live out in Cibolo though it is the extreme end of the area that is closer to being New Braunfels then Cibolo.

There's a big auto swap meet in New Braunfels if you are up this way.
I used to go to Landa Park as a kid, We had a lot of fun there at the river shute - we used to call it Stinky Falls; I have no idea where that name came from. Beautiful area though!

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 03:02:19 AM »
Welcome aboard the Nation. Where the only weird is not. A Mopar build is kool. There are a few members that have Mopar in there system. And the Little Red Truck is still sought after. Almost had a new one at one time. But went in another direction, a Grand Torino.

8)
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline NitroMidgets

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »
Just a thought but in case you didn't know about it (unlikely given you are from here) but there is always the swap meet at the Pig Stand. You might find what you need there.

http://www.maryannspigstand.com/Swap.htm

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 08:34:34 PM »
Just a thought but in case you didn't know about it (unlikely given you are from here) but there is always the swap meet at the Pig Stand. You might find what you need there.

http://www.maryannspigstand.com/Swap.htm
Actually no, I didn't know about it but I'm sure that I won't make it as I'm way too much of a homebody; I hope to change that once my car is drivable...

Offline NitroMidgets

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 09:42:55 AM »
It might help you find some parts you need for cheap and the food is really good. Besides, my car isn't on the road yet. That is mostly my own obsessive compulsive behavior though as I keep changing things.
A coworker is considering building a rat rod now.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
Well be sure to let your coworker know that once he builds one, his life is gonna change. Why? It just does. hehehehehe

and i am compulsive too. I start going in one direction, and usually change my mind and go another.

Offline NitroMidgets

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 06:32:19 AM »
Jun 22nd there is a very large swap meet at the Tree of Life church off of the 35N just before New Braunfels. A good bit of the parking lot if covered as well.

I'll be going.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 07:34:40 AM »
Have fun man, we don't have anything like that up here.........no swap meets. I think that some shows have tried, but most people here just end up going on craigslist.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
Jun 22nd there is a very large swap meet at the Tree of Life church off of the 35N just before New Braunfels. A good bit of the parking lot if covered as well.

I'll be going.
There you go trying to get me out of my house again... Just kidding. I'd go too if it was THAT close to me. Next time I go to SA to visit my Mother and Brother, I may hit you up to see if anything is happening. I do really appreciate the thought though and look forward to meeting you one day! BTW, where are you at with your '29, any pics to share?

Offline NitroMidgets

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 06:58:11 AM »
I'm currently living in North Cliff but we're looking to purchase a bigger place.

I'll get some updated pics of the car up this weekend. Did a bit of regression and took apart much of what I already had done.

Might end up pulling the motor back out in order to change something else as well.

Offline NitroMidgets

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
Another option if you are near New Braunfels on the first Sunday of the month (this Sunday).
http://www.newbraunfelscarclub.com/